• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizi Alenquer "red tail"

Ian Logan

5 Year Member
I Have seen the above at my LFS and was unclear which colour form these are.

I am recently returned to the hobby so playing catch up so let me say thank you for the quality of information and opinion on this forum.

I was not expecting "Alenquer" to be red tail, believing them to be a blue/ yellow form with white tail markings so I've been researching the forum threads to see if this is an "aquarium strain" and to check my if understanding are adrift.

I think I may have misunderstood the (always excellent) thread posting from Mike Wise http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/apistogramma-cf-agassizii-alenquer.9883/#post-54504 and on re-reading it seems the Alenquer form is differentiated by pattern and fin extensions rather than e.g. red vs white in the tail per se; although this post is now 6 years old and who knows what commercial development may have taken place since so if anyone can me fully understand this I'd be grateful and sleep easier.

On a second but related point should we be trying to keep wild type colour forms as breeding groups particularly in super species groups and areas under habitat threat?

Cheers

Ian

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I've seen this commercial strain of A. agassizii being sold as "Alenquer" in the UK, presumably because of the tail markings on the male.

I think the "Alenquer" tag is used for tank bred Discus and Apistogramma to give them a bit more catchet and sell them for a higher price.

I've had fry from this pair and all the males have had had the same blue body colour and red variegated tail, suggesting that it is a line bred form.

Apologies for the quality of the video.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….