• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

90G Gallon Showtank

Bob1

5 Year Member
I am in the process of setting up a 90G S/A Dwarf Showtank. I would like to have a group of Microgeophagus sp, possibly Apistos, and live bearers. What are your thoughts? Any recommendations where to buy them? :eek:

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Bob1,

Where do you live? The info isn’t in your profile. It would make it easier to recommend a place to buy fish knowing your general location.

A few brief words of advice for setting up the tank:

1) Make sure you cycle the tank before adding a lot of livestock. Start with a few less demanding fish in terms of water quality…possibly the livebearers or even some of the hardier tetras would make good first fish.

2) Research the fish you intend to keep in the tank. Especially focus on the pH, temperature, and gH (hardness) that the fish live in the wild. This will narrow down the spectrum of fish you can readily keep together and increase your likelihood of success. It seems that a lot of people have problems with their first several dwarf cichlid keeping endeavors by trying to house the fish in water that just isn’t right for the animals.

3) Take time and care in your selection of fish.:wink: It will be very challenging to remove any unwanted fish from a 90 gallon show tank.

Good luck and enjoy the ride. There are few challenges that I find more enjoyable then having wide-open options for starting a new tank.

Jeff

mlaursen

5 Year Member
Species selection is going to be key, with softer acidic water your selection of livebearing fish will be much smaller. Most common livebearers require harder more alkaline water to thrive. At those parameters apistos or rams should do very well. you may want to consider Tetras or rasboras to occupy the upper levels of the tank.

Michael

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
As said above, blue rams and apistos (some anyway) would go well in the ph. I have apisto triple red Cacatoides (sp?) and blue rams in ph of 7, no ro water.

If you go for blue rams, try to find a local breeder (check an aquarium club or even go to an aurction) as many in your lfs will be hormoned to colour up younger and they seem to die after a few weeks. If you can set up a 10g tank to quarantine fish before you add them to your big tank. Rams seem to get ich more than most fish I've seen.

Rams and apistos take the same bottom space so make sure you don't over stock with too many pairs. You will need someting to fill your mid to top range of the tank. Even angels will work as they won't bother the adult rams/apistos, but would be a threat to any fry.

Sounds like a great tank....post pics when you are done if you can.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….