• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

5 gallon

Mthom211

So far I have only kept african cichlids. I found an old 5 gallon tank that I had when I was little. The filter I have is a aqua world 150. I want to venture into dwarf cichlids and instead of shellies I want aspitos. re there any species that can be kept in a 5 gallon tank? Would I be better with a pair or a single male?

Matt

Rod

5 Year Member
I have a pair of A trifasciata (and about 20 fry) in a 300mm cube(just under 5gal)......and a few dwarf rasboras as dither fish/glass shrimp/MT snails

but.....I have a large piece of driftwood in the tank that is heavily planted with java fern....so Mum has the kids tucked away from Dad and I've given Dad a mirror to keep him occupied....:biggrin:

I think this setup would work for borelli....but maybe bit small for most other species

I've been keeping fish for 40+ years....bigger tanks are more forgiving.....same token....often it's the care taken to give and maintain the correct water chemistry,diet and hiding spots,etc.....rather than just assume a bigger tank is the solution

I also have a similar tank with shellies in it......N similis

Mthom211

Do you get your's from Fish chicks? Do I need to buy a pair or can I get a juvinile male and female and put them together? I posted this question on another forum and i got reply saying they need another fish to show their aggression to. How much are the dwarf rasoras and are their any other dithers I can use? While researching I found my favourite, apistogramma cacatuoides. I know the females are really aggresive so could I have one male of these and some dithers?

Rod

5 Year Member
Yes....they are from Jodi-Lea's(Fishchick)

Get male/female and see what happens

She also has some nice borelli on their way....so I'm told :wink:

Fishchick has lots of dwarf rasboras(cheap)
There are other fish that can be used....but they need to be small in a 5 gal tank....dwarf corys.ember tetras???

See her setups in the shop....:wink:

Cac's are nice.....but(males) get a bit big for a small tank IMO and females are very aggressive when looking after fry....tri's have a similar dorsal but round tails not lyretail....not as colourful, but prettier

Mthom211

Yes....they are from Jodi-Lea's(Fishchick)

Get male/female and see what happens

She also has some nice borelli on their way....so I'm told :wink:

Fishchick has lots of dwarf rasboras(cheap)
There are other fish that can be used....but they need to be small in a 5 gal tank....dwarf corys.ember tetras???

See her setups in the shop....:wink:

Cac's are nice.....but(males) get a bit big for a small tank IMO and females are very aggressive when looking after fry....tri's have a similar dorsal but round tails not lyretail....not as colourful, but prettier

What do you mean by this? Do you mean buy to and chuck em in the tank or just buy 1? so even if i only had 1 cacatuoides it would be to big? Sorry for asking so many questions but I can't find anything about keeping single males or small tanks.

Rod

5 Year Member
I'm saying buy a male AND a female

It is against my philosophy for fish keeping....to keep one sex of any fish

If I can't get both sexes I'm not interested......
might work for others..:rolleyes:

mightymax1860

I have kept melgar and other apisto's in a ten gallon and they have bred for me I have a pair of aggazzizi in a five with some java moss and amazon swords with a cave, they seem fine so far

Rod

5 Year Member
Brevis will work well....I have a few shellies myself

No worry with water chemistry.....

but I found them to be pretty boring if just a pair by themselves....female in shell and male sits above....and that's about it

You'll need a bigger tank and a couple of pairs to get some action???

Mthom211

I'm hoping they get more lively. Appartently these guys are the ones with the most character. I haven't seen the female all day. Theres 2 shells and the male constantly changes between the 2 but the female hasn''t come out at all. There in my room and I forgot to put the blinds up this morning so they have been in darkness to day. I have a light but I have a board over the top untill they settle in. Do you think thats why I haven't seen her?

Hilde

5 Year Member
I have a pair of A trifasciata (and about 20 fry) in a 300mm cube(just under 5gal)......and a few dwarf rasboras as dither fish/glass shrimp/MT snails

but.....I have a large piece of driftwood in the tank that is heavily planted with java fern....so Mum has the kids tucked away from Dad and I've given Dad a mirror to keep him occupied....:biggrin:
That is funny!:biggrin: Do you have a link to a pic of it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….