• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

12 week old A. trifasciata male?

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
Been going along the last month hoping this little guy was going to be a little gal since I lost the mum :( , But looking at it today I'm pretty darn sure its a boy. Anybody agree or disagree?

Second pic really shows why, colour through the dorsal and forward dorsal rays seem to becoming elongated as well. Pity up till now it had been showing markedly intense black on the front of the dorsal, ventral and anal fins even when it was the only dwarf in the tank I thought it was female.
DSCF6716_resize.jpg

DSCF6717_resize.jpg

Anthbruce1

Could you let me know if you can sex the fish yet. I have a trio of young females ( i hope) which have long rays on the dorsal fin but they nowhere near as long as my males

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Looks like a young male on the 2nd picture (the lower one in the shadow looks like A. cacatuoides male). After breeding A. trifasciata for so long, I am able to get a more decent sex ratio. My initial spawns were mainly males. Only males have long dorsal fin lappets, I have yet to see any of such feature on females after raising a few hundreds of them. I still got a tank of 50+ that are sexable and none of the females have any extended dorsal rays. If the 'so-called' females have it, then they are just subordinate males.

Anthbruce1

Will a subdued male stay the same size as a female. I have one definite male, two definite female and one I'm not sure about. But if it is a subdued male would it not reach its mature size. Very confused

Anthbruce1

Does anyone know of a UK breeder. Looks like I have a male, two females and a subdued male. Would like another female if possible. Any help appreciated

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….