• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to do now?

MacZ

Called my go-to store. They have 2 tanks with juvenile D. filamentosus and one single adult D. maculatus male. I'm really tempted to take the D. maculatus, because the specimen is there for at least 4 months now. But D. maculatus neither fit into the Rio Negro setting I'm aiming at, nor is it a real blackwater species, but rather a clearwater fish. The readings in my tank are already below clearwater levels.

MacZ

photo_2022-01-28_19-10-58.jpg

Here are the new additions. 2-3cm each.

MacZ

Quick update.
The cichlids grow and grow. The first is scratching 4.5 cm. Everything else is doing allright. No surprises. Just a very relaxing tank.

20220304_201049.jpg
Overview
20220304_201233.jpg
Plääänts.
photo_2022-03-07_21-00-58.jpg
More plants.
20220304_201302.jpg

These fish can look so different, just depending on the light.
20220304_201624.jpg

Immersive.

MacZ

Update on the Dicrossus: I have 3 confirmed males and 1 confirmed female. One runt is still half a centimeter behind the others. This is going to be... "interesting". I'm preparing for eventual rehoming. Already got the LFS as a lifeline, they take any surplus males. But I also got positive first hand reports on this probably still working. I guess I have 1-2 months until I know for sure.

Few days ago I was idle and took another video. That was before I was able to sex them.

MacZ

Some impressions. I'm weaning the cichlids off the heavy feeding (3x/day), going down to one feeding a day and a fast day a week. Still mainly feeding freshly hatched artemia nauplii. I'm a bit light on the money recently, but I have enough of the eggs to have live nauplii for months.

Also I'm keeping these goblins for the time being. Last week I was debating with myself to give them away except one, but actually... it works quite well right now. Displaying and chasing are all I see at the moment, no real fights.

20220414_201726.jpg
20220414_201749.jpg
20220414_202508.jpg
20220414_202025.jpg
P.S.: The water is actually much darker, but the camera always takes out a lot of the tint.

Last edited:

Mazan

Definitely keep them, unless you run into any problems, I am sure they are more interesting as a group.

P.S.: The water is actually much darker, but the camera always takes out a lot of the tint.
Yes, why does this happen? I am finding the same...

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
I know in my case it's the fact I have a phone from 2016 with a rubbish auto-adjusting camera. :D Plus I forgot to set a preset today.
You (or the phone's camera app) are metering to get proper exposure on the fish. Even with a phone from 2016, you can likely find an app that will allow you to manually set the exposure. However, if you meter on the brights to make the water darker, it will be very hard to see your fish in these photos.

MacZ

You (or the phone's camera app) are metering to get proper exposure on the fish. Even with a phone from 2016, you can likely find an app that will allow you to manually set the exposure. However, if you meter on the brights to make the water darker, it will be very hard to see your fish in these photos.
I have very much maxed out the abilities of the preinstalled app. Maybe time to find an alternative. In any case, I'm quite happy with the tank.

Another observation, the pencils are mostly using the back part of the tank among the roots, away from the current zone on the left of the tank. I have been lucky kinda replicating the current zones quite well.
Salvinia is not doing well by now, I'm astonished how well the frogbit does, it wouldn't survive in the old tank. Nymphea does well as expected. And the Pothos had to be cut down already.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
I don't know about android, but if you're on iPhone, I recommend the ProCamera app. It allows you to set and lock exposure and focus independently. I have used it on iPhone 6 also!

Mazan

I don't know about android, but if you're on iPhone, I recommend the ProCamera app. It allows you to set and lock exposure and focus independently. I have used it on iPhone 6 also!
Interesting, thanks I’ll look into that…

Mazan

Beautiful! They have plenty of hiding places and spots where they can't see each other so they should be OK for a while longer...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….