• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to do now?

MacZ

Welcome to the dry season.

Stocking: 1,0 Apistogramma hongsloi, 3 Paracheirodon axelrodi
photo_2021-02-18_15-50-41.jpg

photo_2021-02-18_15-50-05.jpg

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Looks great Mac.
Will you continue on wet/dry seasons? -or was that just for fun?

-r

MacZ

Thanks!

I'm a bit torn, cause actually I like the paludarium-look and the pothos plant only really took off after I lowered the water and put it under the light.

But: My flat is right under the roof and summer is drawing closer. The past years the room temperature could reach up to 36°C and more. A bigger volume of water is much more temperature stable, so it may happen that towards June or July I'll raise the waterline again, just to have a less hard time to keep temperatures within healthy range.
Guess that would mean winter will be dry season and summer rainy season from now on.

Will see, no need to decide within the next few weeks.

Samala

Winter dry season and summer wet season is very much in keeping with actual seasonality patterns. Should work nicely.

I'm impressed with the Hydrocotyle growth. This literally grows as a rampant weed in my yard and flower beds. Cannot get it to take hold in tanks.

MacZ

Winter dry season and summer wet season is very much in keeping with actual seasonality patterns. Should work nicely.
I hope so, just one problem with the temperatures. Those should be higher in the dry season and lower in the wet season.

I'm impressed with the Hydrocotyle growth. This literally grows as a rampant weed in my yard and flower beds. Cannot get it to take hold in tanks.
I got the first pieces from a friend that keeps them in a tank with CO2, so they had some advantage. I guess the many leaves that reach to the surface are giving it still the advantage of using atmospheric CO2. Plus being just anchored on the wood and otherwise floating in the light.

Last edited:

anewbie

Not 100% sure about apisto but some fishes require the warm/cold season for health reason....

MacZ

Not 100% sure about apisto but some fishes require the warm/cold season for health reason....
If I kept native european species (especially differend species of carps and cyprinids) I would need a cooler for winter to give them the necessary low temperatures.
All species I have here are from around the Equator, so the lowest temperatures would come with rainstorms pressing down to 20-23°C for a few hours and maximum would be around 30°C at the end of the dry season. Average is around 26-27°C. I keep the tank at 25-26°C, maxing out in summer to 28-29°C.
A. borellii can be found in regions where temperatures are varying much more over the course of the year, but they also come from some thousand kilometers south of the equatorial region at places with more pronounced seasons.

MacZ

Some impressions of this month.

News: +++ added a couple of tiger lotus +++ water parameters are moving the right direction: pH 5.5 with botanicals and elder cone extract alone (in 95% RO) +++ frogbit rebounced +++ all plants flourishing +++ all fish healthy +++ pencilfish spawning daily +++

photo_2021-07-12_20-27-43.jpg

photo_2021-07-18_22-04-02.jpg

photo_2021-07-15_10-33-42.jpg

photo_2021-07-18_21-49-17.jpg

photo_2021-07-11_10-02-02.jpg

photo_2021-07-18_21-48-18.jpg

rasmusW

5 Year Member
The tank is looking great. Looking forward to see the lotus with emersed leafs.

-r

MacZ

Thank you!

I hope the lotus does get there at all. Due to the fact I could only plant it where I planted it I can not use root tabs. The A. hongsloi has his cave right next to it and I don't want him to eventually excavate it. I sadly know what that can cause and I don't want that to happen again. It will have to do with liquid ferts in the water column.

It's in there for a bit over 2 weeks now and although two leaves show slight signs of melting overall it grows, both offshoots I got already grew another leaf and the existingt stem have slowly worked their way up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….