• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to do now?

MacZ

Been a while since the last update. Just a bit of a teaser, going to have some days of no work this week, looking forward to maybe take some more good pics.

photo_2023-04-04_14-53-18.jpg

MacZ

Finally a full update!

First off all, the stocking is unchanged except 2 losses among the tetras and pencils, in one case old age, the other an untreatable organ failure.
Generally the tank is doing well, the water parameters are stable: TDS around 30, pH around 5.5, unchanged. The plants are doing super well, I thinned them out the past few days. The pothos have reached an all over length of 8-9 meters if you add up all the vines. The maximum of a single one should be around 2.75-3m.
Although the Nymphaea has multiplied, ending me up with two big specimens, the Limnobium and Salvinia have taken over quite some surface space, while the Hydrocotyle is now mostly confinded to emerse growth in the back and semi-emerse in the front.

photo_2023-04-19_10-07-36.jpg

photo_2023-04-19_10-06-47.jpg photo_2023-04-19_10-07-33.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Without the ferts all plants would be dead or dying in 2-3 weeks.
So far so good on the subject of Epipremnum aureum reducing nitrate towards zero
That was why I developed the <"Duckweed Index">.

It is a mechanism for allowing you to keep your plants growing on <"petrol fumes"> and makes use of the fact that a plant with access to <"atmospheric CO2"> is never carbon (C) limited. It is Diana Walstad's <"aerial advantage">.

The basic premise is that plants are very efficient at reducing nutrient levels, but they need all 14 (or 17 etc) of the <"essential nutrients for plant growth">.

The aim is to keep them in active growth, and removing CO2, fixed nitrogen and other nutrients, but not to supply nutrients in excess, like you would if you used <"Estimative Index (EI)"> or aimed for <"optimal plant growth">.

cheers Darrel

MacZ

Then you can be even prouder, I have at least a dozen of people that in turn got it from me here in Germany. None of them has had any problems with their plants since.
Hi all,

I'm obviously not an unbiased observer, but I am proud of it, and it works.

Cheers Darrel

MacZ

Bad News:
I lost my Dicrossus over night. Reached almost 2 years of age, so I'm kinda proud, often the species doesn't make it that long.

Good news:
I just ordered some females last week and just got the call they arrived. I just hope they have a male left as well. Last week they had some.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Sorry to hear, but great you got some new ones coming in.
I hope you’ll be more lucky with sexing of the fish, than i have with the i. Bimaculata.

-r

MacZ

Thank you. It's really the worst timing I have experienced in a while.

I have seen sexed Dicrossus in that store all year and I can sex them myself. So I'm safe. They just don't let me catch them from the sales tanks myself, but I point on the fish and I get it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….