• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

video of Rocket pencilfish spawning (with A. bitaeniata watching in the background)

guits

I've kept Nannostomus eques with my apistogramma as a dither with much success. They usually occupy the upper half of the tank, encourage the apistogramma to swim in the open, and seem to have minimal impact on apistogramma fry. Today I noticed some increased activity among the pencilfish, and it turns out they were spawning. Two of the adult males were avidly pursuing an adult female for several hours. It appears that the female intends to deposit the eggs on the underside of the java fern. However if you look carefully the eggs wind up falling to the bottom. I was able to get video and wanted to share. My male Apistogramma bitaeniata makes a cameo appearance, and notice in the second video that he actually snatches up an egg for a snack!

[video=youtube;YTzXJf0-CeU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTzXJf0-CeU&context=C47bcb56ADvjVQa1PpcFPEDFmFP5RkujT0pgqZwsz7 pJ0qfOUMqSg=[/video]

[video=youtube;tlwXI4R0u60]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwXI4R0u60&context=C4936e45ADvjVQa1PpcFPEDFmFP5RkuqDIp4gD-p9GPMh6G-FV1JU=[/video]

And since this is an apistogramma forum, here is a shot of the A. bitaeniata from Peru in the same tank. Enjoy!

P1020659.jpg

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
N. eques is probably my favorite Pencilfish. I have about 2 dozen in my planted Tetra tank which is a 125 gal tank. My Pencilfish occasionally spawn in this large community tank but there is no way any fry would ever survive. I have 100 Green Neons, 12 Robert's Tetras, 10 Diamond Tetras, 12 Silver hatchets, 20 Rummy nose Tetras, some Copella spilota and about 8 Dicrossus filamentosus.
Raising the fry of N. eques is a challenge. Their small fry have the same small tube-like mouth as adults and require microscopic foods for many weeks before all can eat newly hatched brine shrimp and microworms. It is usually necessary to overlap feeding both foods until the fry are all larger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….