• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Taking next step in Apisto (dwarf) journay

georgedv

5 Year Member
I am finally ready to buy a pH meter. I have read the threads here and elsewhere. I was hoping for any last minute input since this is a pretty large purchase for me. I am more incline to get an instrument that reads more then one measurement. Unless this type of instrument reduces reliability too too too much. Any input here is also needed. I have got some brands and sources from other threads here...any other suggestions?

Last year I got advise here on a starter apisto and got a few trip red cacs. Kept them, bred them, raised them. It was great. So now what apistos should I get? I feel i can handle something w/ a little more water peripheral requirements (hence the pH meter). Water here is a tad soft and around 6.7 to 6.9 If anything exciting exists within these boundries...let me know...and reliable sources. RO unit will have to wate till next year.

Thanks in advance to every one.

g

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
... Water here is a tad soft and around 6.7 to 6.9

Do you mean "soft" (6.7-6.9 ppm of ºdH) or "acidic" (pH 6.7-6.9)? Usually, but not always, acidic water is also moderately soft. It would help to know exactly what you mean.

If anything exciting exists within these boundries...let me know...and reliable sources. RO unit will have to wate till next year.

Thanks in advance to every one.

g
If your water is truly on the soft side, then there are many different dwarfs that can be kept and bred in it with little or no modification. Your best bet is to look at the different species available, decide what appeals to you, and then learn the species' needs. Good luck; there are a lot of wonderful fish out there.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the input Ted & Mike.

Presently i use strips to measure water parameters. The 6.7 6.9 refer to pH. The strips just show water to be one color towards soft.

As for the fish, your experience is not only in the scientific arena but also as a hobbiest. What apisto would you suggest as interesting. However keep in mind my limited experience.

Regarding the meter is high range EC better then low range EC...or no difference

Thanks again

g

georgedv

5 Year Member
Does anyone have a suggestion for an interesting apisto to try next?

Is a viejita and mamasteri the same thing or just hard to tell apart?

thanks

g

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. viejita and A. macmasteri in the wild are visually and genetically two obviously different species. It's quite different in the aquarium trade. I have only seen A. viejita live one time, back at the 1998 Chicago ACA convention. My guess is that 99.99% of the fish sold as "A. vijita" are a colorful domestic form of A. macmasteri. The rest are either fish from very old domestic strains of crosses of several different macmasteri-complex species or, on very rare occasions, the true A. viejita. Personally I prefer the Red-shoulder/Rotrücken morph of A. macmasteri to the true A. viejita. It simply is more colorful.

As for other species, well only you can decide which you like. Right now my taste is the odd (= usually more bland) species. I suggest that you pick up a copy of the DATZ book (good at IDs) or the Aqualog book (terrible at IDs) and pick out the fish that appeal to you. Then look up information on them, so that you can decide if it is the one for you.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Thank you Mike for all the input, including info on birch wood. I already have a copy of the DATZ book and your translation, again thank you.

g

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….