• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stealing Ivanacara Adoketa eggs.. hmm

Aquatopia

I have a beautiful pair of Ivanacara Adoketa in a planted 40 long. They are the same fish that adopted 20 or so Vieja Zonatus fry that I posted a video on. As soon as I took the fry away the pair Spawned and layed about 150 eggs. This is my first try with these guys and I'll tell you that I think this is the absolute coolest Dwarf that I've ever owned- (Thanks Dave) But- The first spawn didn;t work out so well- After moving the eggs several times to different hiding places I have no fry. My fish are paraniod! They see me or anybody coming near the tank and seriously swim up to me and look me in the eye then the eggs dissapear to another location (2 times) I'm wondering if anyone has success with hatching the eggs seperately from the parents and what you think the drawbacks are. They were fertile eggs last time and possibly fry but now about a week later they're digging up the tank and making new nest sites. I'm concerned that because the tank is in my store that there's just simply too much movement for them (ontop of my curiousity)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, I wouldn't try to hatch the eggs artificially but you could try. If they were my fish, I would put them in a large breeding tank with a few target fish and see what happens. Like most cichlids, practice make perfect.

Aquatopia

Well, they are in a heavily planted 40 long with driftwood with a small (getting smaller) school of tetras. Patience is not my strong suit! I'm just wondering if this fish is going to hold a grudge against me if I take the eggs! I never owned such a fearless fish that acts so smart- it's like they look into my soul.. lol

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They may not hold a grudge against you if the eggs disappear. They may think that the other partner ate the eggs and then all 'heck' could break out. Pairs have broken up and partners died for less.

Aquatopia

They may not hold a grudge against you if the eggs disappear. They may think that the other partner ate the eggs and then all 'heck' could break out. Pairs have broken up and partners died for less.
Hmm..some fish give them up so easily though too with out any problems. Thank you for the insight.

Aquatopia

Malanochromis that's the wrong thing to tell me right now, I'm watching them getting ready to lay again right now spot cleaning the slate and practice laying.. I think I'm going to cover the tank and let them try this one on their own again- I'll look at them again in a week or so.. oh man fingers crossed! They're going to lay any minute! This dank should not be in view of my desk- It's always like watching a movie!

Melanochromis

Good luck, Aquatopia. I remember how exciting this was. But my pair didn't get spooked easily. I could just sit there and watch them spawn, which usually occurred very early in the morning. However, the female always ate her eggs - it's probably her.

One important note though, when spawning was about to occur, I would get my separation device ready, because the male and female of my pair usually fought with each other after the eggs were gone, which could be anytime from a few hours to 2 days after spawning. The female always went into hiding for days after losing to the male but there was one time she gave the male a very bad wound at his back. I hope your pair aren't like mine. I loved my pair but they gave me a lot of stress !!

Aquatopia

Thanks for the advice- The have layed once before and seemed to be very good parents. They didn't fight at all after the eggs were gone. I know the female is the culprit though, the male's younger and a little smaller - it's like he does whatever she wants and is very eager to do whatever he should do. These guys are really fun and not so easily spooked just really cautious with the eggs. They don't run away when they see me, they swim up and stare me down! then the eggs dissapear. guess we'll see what happens this time. If no success on their own I will take them myself next time.

Aquatopia

I believe they are though I learned my lesson from the last time they layed not to go looking for them. The tank they live in is soo overgrown and wild - They aren't acting like either of them is guarding eggs and for the first time I saw them chasing eachother around-

edited- still trying to figure out picture uploading

Attachments

• overgrown.gif
    overgrown.gif
    245.3 KB · Views: 591
  • overgrown.gif
    overgrown.gif
    245.3 KB · Views: 534

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….