• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bigtuna88

Apisto Club
Hi I currently have every pencil fish from Peru. Pencils 1-4. Including the recently discovered super red cenepa (4) Also the highly sought after balsopuerto newly discovered bitaeniata also known as Floricho. I have pacullpensis, apistogrammma Diamante aka diamond face (my personal favorite. They’re absolutely insane), a. Paulmuelleri aka Cara Pintada, very few A. Ladislao pairs, A. Nijsseni, same with A. Huascar. Also have Peruvian Otocinclus Affinus (common oto). Bitaeniata Shishita as well as balsopuerto. Very few considering keeping A winklefleck. Beyond words to describe this amazing Apisto.

Other than that currently breed Ivanacara Adoketa have breeding pairs ready and ivanacara bimaculata with fry growing out.

Also have cacatuoides Quadruple reds growing same as macmasteri red should and max gold red shoulders.

I also have this week coming in pigmy sunfish from a phd scientist who collects for the Smithsonian bringing me 10 pairs each of the known species as well
As 20 of a brand new species he has identified. So excited!!!!

rasmusW

5 Year Member
That’s quite an impressive list.
Love to see pictures of it all…

-r

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
apistogrammma Diamante aka diamond face (my personal favorite. They’re absolutely insane
Yes, an impressive list of fish.

FYI Diamente was the name under which A. alpahuayo (aka A. sp. Schwarzkinn/Black-chin) was imported. Diamente refers to the village of Diamente Azul on the upper Rio Nanay where it originated and first collected and imported by Julio Melgar in the 1980s. Interestingly the type locality listed in the scientific description ("a small nameless cocha (lake) with a small affluent quebrada (brook) approximately 29 km south of Iquitos" and the same type locality for A. cinnalabra) appears to be where local collectors introduced A. alpahuayo in the 1990s. This was because it was easier to get to.

anewbie

So does this means if someone is selling some wc fish with some random name or even a well known name i won't know the actual species of the fish until someone else can properly identify it and stick a proper label on it ? So all i will know is i have some fish that someone called something - maybe even his name if nothing better because that was a convenient label :(

Bigtuna88

Apisto Club
So does this means if someone is selling some wc fish with some random name or even a well known name i won't know the actual species of the fish until someone else can properly identify it and stick a proper label on it ? So all i will know is i have some fish that someone called something - maybe even his name if nothing better because that was a convenient label :(
I can sympathize your frustration and sadness. As an example. I’ll get sent a picture of a fish that looks like. Told its one name. Then when I get it shipped it looks 100000% different and exporters will either say it’s same or that it was a substitute but prices are always either the same or more. So on top on not getting desired fish you not have to pay even more for a fish you never wanted. Ill update pics of what I was sold as Diamante aka Diamond Face

Attachments

• E2F850A9-8FE0-4EEC-9074-B7F80DF25280.jpeg
    E2F850A9-8FE0-4EEC-9074-B7F80DF25280.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 112

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Welcome to the world of Apistos ;)
Ill update pics of what I was sold as Diamante aka Diamond Face
It's A. eremnopyge.

Bigtuna88

Apisto Club
Yes, an impressive list of fish.

FYI Diamente was the name under which A. alpahuayo (aka A. sp. Schwarzkinn/Black-chin) was imported. Diamente refers to the village of Diamente Azul on the upper Rio Nanay where it originated and first collected and imported by Julio Melgar in the 1980s. Interestingly the type locality listed in the scientific description ("a small nameless cocha (lake) with a small affluent quebrada (brook) approximately 29 km south of Iquitos" and the same type locality for A. cinnalabra) appears to be where local collectors introduced A. alpahuayo in the 1990s. This was because it was easier to get to.
I asked the exporter to contact the collector for river identification of collection. I was told Diamante from Nanay

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Correct I’ve found almost half a dozen names this fish goes by depending on what year your looking into.
Yes but A. eremnopyge is the only correct scientific name of this species, all others are just arbitrary common/trade names. To distinguish between scientific and common/trade names the latter have a "sp." in front of them (e.g. A. sp. Diamante) and are written with a first capital letter (sometimes even with quotes i. e. A. sp. "Diamante"). At least this is how it is supposed to be, but many people omit the "sp." and don't care for the capital letter/quotes either, thereby ending up with A. diamante which then seems to be on a par with A. eremnopyge.
Btw this is very helpful when it comes to species names: https://www.tomc.no/page.aspx?PageID=127

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I asked the exporter to contact the collector for river identification of collection. I was told Diamante from Nanay
If this is true, then it most likely is A. alpahuayo. A. eremnopyge is found in the Río Itaya. I think you're learning the problem with common names. Photos of the fish definitely would be helpful at this point.

Bigtuna88

Apisto Club
If this is true, then it most likely is A. alpahuayo. A. eremnopyge is found in the Río Itaya. I think you're learning the problem with common names. Photos of the fish definitely would be helpful at this point.
Thanks so much for helping. I don’t know who’s right but I definitely would like to sell as correctly as possible. I’ve posted on picture previously but will update a few more. Hard things with these is they rarely flare their fins. Should I do this personally out of water? What’s the ideal picture set up for ID?

Bigtuna88

Apisto Club
Yes but A. eremnopyge is the only correct scientific name of this species, all others are just arbitrary common/trade names. To distinguish between scientific and common/trade names the latter have a "sp." in front of them (e.g. A. sp. Diamante) and are written with a first capital letter (sometimes even with quotes i. e. A. sp. "Diamante"). At least this is how it is supposed to be, but many people omit the "sp." and don't care for the capital letter/quotes either, thereby ending up with A. diamante which then seems to be on a par with A. eremnopyge.
Btw this is very helpful when it comes to species names: https://www.tomc.no/page.aspx?PageID=127
@Mike Wise ?

Bigtuna88

Apisto Club
I do try and use this to the best of my ability. As stated previously it kinda seemed to be to depend on what time period this fish is talked about so was confused. If I had a marine biology PHD unfortunately I wouldn’t be selling fish except for a hobby to friends.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for helping. I don’t know who’s right but I definitely would like to sell as correctly as possible. I’ve posted on picture previously but will update a few more. Hard things with these is they rarely flare their fins. Should I do this personally out of water? What’s the ideal picture set up for ID?
No new photos needed, the fish in the photo of post #7 are for sure A. eremnopyge. Mike must just have missed the photo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….