• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

setting up peat filtration on an established tank

cubsfan

5 Year Member
I currently have a heavily planted 29 gallon apisto community tank that has been established for a little over a year now. I would like to add peat to the filter so that I can soften and acidify the water a little bit.

My question is, how does one go about adding this to a tank that is already up and running. It seems to me like it would be a shock to the fish if I were to just add a bunch to my filter one day. Should I start with a little bit and gradually work my way up to the level that I will eventually be using? Also, what exactly is a good amount to use. The filter I am currently using on the tank is an eheim 2213.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can offer!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I do not put peat in the filter. I filter water through peat in 2, 20 gallon (75 l) storage tanks. I then use this water when changing water. The amount I use depends on the needs of the fish. Some get none; some get 100%.

MudFrog

5 Year Member
Running along the same lines....I am very new.

I am changing over a established 90 gallon to a apesto tank...it is has

th 180
alk 300
ph 9
no2 0
no3 20

Ive got coming ...

Apisto eunotus, nijsaseni, borelli and Mikrogeophagus altispinosa. All in pairs. Got them from Apisodave on aquabid. Breeding would be really nice but not a must. I will love the fish regardless. I haven't found a top fish that I like yet.

So I have been reading about the peat and distilled water.....I got that part. I think I will take out over 50% of water and replace with distilled and add peat to tank via floating stocking....to lower ph. Any comments ??

My question is...does anyone know what this will do to my plants? I have this tank about 55% planted. :eek:

Also, it has a sponge filter at this time. Should I put in a power filter or canister? It is a very clear tank..with all the floating plants and so forth doing some filtering them self. :confused: oh, I do a weekly water change of 20% ....and will be using distilled water with peat in the future.

I am looking in to a RO/DI system but there are a bit pricey after paying for the fish I need to wait a bit. Any DIY for this that anyone knows of?

advice is welcome and appreciated.

Lisa

farm41

5 Year Member
cubsfan said:
It seems to me like it would be a shock to the fish if I were to just add a bunch to my filter one day.

It won't be a shock, it takes a while for the acid to leach out.

I use the same method Mike does with the peat, and I don't worry about the show tanks(planted) for lowering PH. I only alter PH on breeding tanks.

farm41

5 Year Member
MudFrog said:
th 180
alk 300
ph 9
no2 0
no3 20

My question is...does anyone know what this will do to my plants? I have this tank about 55% planted. :eek:

Also, it has a sponge filter at this time. Should I put in a power filter or canister? It is a very clear tank..with all the floating plants and so forth doing some filtering them self. :confused: oh, I do a weekly water change of 20% ....and will be using distilled water with peat in the future.

Lisa

While pure RO water is not good for plants, a mix of RO/Tap can be OK for very hard water. Sponge filters are fine, however if you decide to go with the higher tech planted tanks, and inject co2 with high light. Then the filter may need to be changed.

You don't have to change everything at once :wink:

MudFrog

5 Year Member
I did the large water change last night...took readings this moring:

TH 180
ALK 180
PH 8
NO2 0
NO3 0

Now I am going to add peat. Any suggestions on how much peat to add? I was just going to sink it in a stocking kind of netting unless I find a better solution.

Lisa

blueblue

5 Year Member
MudFrog said:
I did the large water change last night...took readings this moring:

TH 180
ALK 180
PH 8
NO2 0
NO3 0

Now I am going to add peat. Any suggestions on how much peat to add? I was just going to sink it in a stocking kind of netting unless I find a better solution.

Lisa

About 300ml in volume will do for your tank... ^.^

cubsfan

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately I don't have any extra tanks to use for this method of softening the water. So if I am going to treat the water with peat, it would have to be placed in the filter.

The pH of the tank is close to neutral, GH=8, KH=6. It is a community tank, and I'm not particularly interested in breeding so would it be better to just leave the parameters as they are?

Again thanks for all of the helpful advice!:)

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi cubsfan,

You don't need an extra tank. I use a 30 gallon plastic trash barrel to mix my peat water. It's inexpensive and just takes up a small amount of mostly verticle space.

I add a 5 gallon bucket of pure Canadian Sphagum Peat Moss to the barrel, then finish filling it with dechlor'ed tap water and let an airstone bubble it a few days. At that point, I skim off any peat moss that hadn't sunk yet. After letting it settle a few minutes I siphon off what I need for water changes.

There are a few peat particles still suspended in the water, but it filters out after a couple days and is harmless to the fish. If these particles bother you, you could siphon the peat water through a few layers of cheese cloth to remove most of it before adding to the tank.

I learned this method from Matt (farm41) and found it works great for me.

After soaking the peat moss 3 or 4 days my pH = 4.5 and GH=4 and KH=1 or 2. I dilute it with untreated water for water changes in tanks that require only a moderate acidity.

The 5 gallon measurement of peat moss is good for 3 or 4 batches of peat water before it begins to loose it's effectiveness.

I suppose a stocking would work as a bag for a smaller volume of water, but you'll probably have to squeeze the peat juice out of it occasionally like a "tea-bag" for it to be most effective.

Michael

MudFrog

5 Year Member
I have heard using peat to lower ph is very hard to keep stable is that true? I wouldn't have a clue what to do if my ph crashed, that is why I am asking.

Also a guy at small pet store said he kept discus and used a ballon by his filter to lower ph. Anyone ever heard of this?? I will have to go back and ask more just thought I would ask.

Thanks,

Lisa

cootwarm

5 Year Member
In my experience the pH remains very stable using peat water, but this could be related to the chemistry of my water from the start.

I've heard that using CO2 can cause pH to spike, but I don't use it myself.

Michael

farm41

5 Year Member
I think the cause of most Ph crashes is too few water changes, whether it be peat adding acid or co2 adding the acid. I have always changed my water 50% once a week in the planted tanks(co2 injected) and 2-3 times in the breeders, of which some are peat softened.

I just checked the EC and Ph of my tanks using straight RO the other day, for the first time in a few months. EC>50µS and Ph 5.5:rolleyes: , I didn't have any idea what it was before I checked, and the fish looked great:cool:

YMMV

MudFrog

5 Year Member
Thanks Cootworm & Farm41!

You say you do a 50% water change a week. I that what need to do? I have in the past done a 25% and had no problems. But I have never kept dwarf cichlids.

Any problems that you know of with Dwarf Cichlids and rainbow fish? how about a dwarf bristel nose pleco??

little background on 90 gallon:
I do not run co2 at this time. and filters are two sponge filters. I have a canister I was thinking of switching to but need to learn a bit more first. I am learning about chemical testing but still need to practic what I have read. Right now I am using strips till my master kit comes in.

Thanks very much!

Roach

5 Year Member
cootwarm said:
In my experience the pH remains very stable using peat water
Michael
I've found this aswell. I had a fairly large stocking full of peat in my wet/dry filter and it gradually dropped the ph down around 4.8. The only fluctuations were when I would do a water change with ph7.8 tap water. Even then it would only rise to about ph5.2.

I'm guessing now that the drop in the ph is relative to the amount of peat that is added.

aspen

5 Year Member
>>' I'm guessing now that the drop in the ph is relative to the amount of peat that is added.'

it is actually related to the amount of peat used against the amount of alkaline buffering dissolved in the water. sometimes it is very hard to move the ph no matter how much peat you add. my water is quite tough to lower the ph of, i get much better results mixing r/o water with my tap first.

rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….