• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

20g new set up question

Don cheech

I am looking to put a pair of A. Agasizzi fire red in a 20g with some dither fish. I would think a species like Apistogramma would do better in an established tank, so I have a tidal 55 and a 35 with bio media from other established tanks and sponges from other established tanks used Fritz zyme 7 plenty of live plants and driftwood with sand substrate and have about a dozen of so fish in there for about a month to keep it all sustained.
Temp 77°
pH 7.0
Nitrate 5ppm
Gh 10
Kh 6
Would you think it would be safe to get them in there at this point.
Thanks in advance

MacZ

If by "established" you mean "seasoned", the tank had to run smoothely for at least another 6 months.
As the fish in it seem to do well, you can safely add Apistogramma to it. Though I have to ask: Is you intent breeding or a display tank? If it's a display, leave out the female and only get a single male.
"To give you a go", if that's what you're asking for, I'd have to see the tank.
Fritz Zyme is also not necessary when you use established media to seed the tank and can be detrimental to the community of microbes you added with the media, because they are competing with each other. So it is money tossed out the window.

Don cheech

If by "established" you mean "seasoned", the tank had to run smoothely for at least another 6 months.
As the fish in it seem to do well, you can safely add Apistogramma to it. Though I have to ask: Is you intent breeding or a display tank? If it's a display, leave out the female and only get a single male.
"To give you a go", if that's what you're asking for, I'd have to see the tank.
Fritz Zyme is also not necessary when you use established media to seed the tank and can be detrimental to the community of microbes you added with the media, because they are competing with each other. So it is money tossed out the window.
Thanks for the info you always respond to my posts and I really appreciate that so then would you say it’s a waste of money to add beneficial bacteria additives after each water change and when adding new fish to the tank

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info you always respond to my posts and I really appreciate that so then would you say it’s a waste of money to add beneficial bacteria additives after each water change and when adding new fish to the tank
Sometimes it helps, other times it's a waste of money as MacZ wrote. Do you know how the bottle was handled between manufacture and your use? It could have been in a freezing cold or overly hot delivery truck for all that you know. If you do buy it always check the expiration date on the bottle. If more than 6 month old I wouldn't use it. I find seeding from an established tank usually work better than a bottle; cheaper and better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….