• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sands vs gravel

T

Ticman

hope this is the correct place to post this question

be interested in hearing members thoughts on sand bottom vs gravel bottom and why they prefer the particular substrate.

thanks,

Mike

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
I keep mine with sand.

They love to build mounds of sand in front of their caves during spawning.
Easier to move sand than gravel.

Looks a bit more natural.

P.W.

5 Year Member
I have switched from gravel to sand in my 15 tanks. I have used the sand from a beach nearby.
The plants are doing fine (especially the vallisneria and limnophila) and the apistos loves it!

Best regards/ Per

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
All of the above ---if you live in the Pacific Northwest play sand from the Roseland gravel co. is perfect --it's really dark too.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use fine gravel (size 30 or 40). I like it better than sand because it is easier to clean. I use very little, however, rarely more than 1/2 inch on the bottom. I use planted driftwood (anubias and bolbitus) rather than gravel-rooting plants in most of my tanks. I have never had a problem with losing fry in the gravel I use.

T

Ticman

thanks all for your comments.

Now--what is the easiest and least stressful way to convert a tank from gravel to sand? I have a 54 corner bowed tank with about 25 fish. Some large some small. I use a filstar canister and an emperor 280.

Again thanks

Mike

aspen

5 Year Member
1. put the fish into buckets.
2. remove the gravel
3. put the sand in.
4. put the fish back

you can play around with 1/4 or 1/2 at a time, i've done it and the most direct way is best.

rick

jase101

5 Year Member
if you plan on changing half the gravel with water and fish still in the tank, expect a huge ammonia swing after you stir up all the gravel (unavoidable in a move). the anaerobic bacteria in it will die and cause a huge ammonia spike. i think it's best to do a full change all at once - means you can do a spring-clean while yr at it.

justin

T

trouble32

changing over

Would i need a different filer or rather a special filter rather than the typical hand on filters?

LyreTail

5 Year Member
I have been using Carib Sea "supernaturals" micro gravels mixed with Seachems red Flourite - all my dwarf Cichlids - Pulcher Kribs. Moliwe Kribs and various pair of Apistos, love it because they can still dig out caves and pile it outside the spawning pots. My plants love it because it has iron and does not compact, and I like it because if I need to I can run a gravel vacuum through it if I feel the need.

T

trouble32

OK good advice,

Now where do you order it from?I live in the sticks lol.and probably would have to order it.

T

trouble32

Great looking

Wow the gravels and sand is great looking,will take advise and look it up thanks for info,,Libby

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….