• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

substrate sands.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
hi all!

i'm dreaming of getting a new larger tank to replace one of my 75 liters. the idea so far is a clearwater tank to house either some clearwater apistos or some dicrossus maculatus.
so far it's just on the drawing board/dream scenario.. heheh

a week ago or so i found this substrate, so i'd like to hear which one of them would be best suited to a tank like that (-only looking at the first 3). based on what i have seen in photos and videos i think the first one (heaven sand).

i do have a few worries about this sand/substrate, though.
they write on their site it's "naturally cosmetic" and natural silica sand. -so i need to figure out if it's colored sand or just pleasing to the eye.
has any of you any experience with products from them?

-r

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
This one <"WIO sand">? Silica sand to it should be fine.

I'll be honest I just "play sand" at a fraction of the price, but it is usually the colour of the "Heaven sand".

I've actually gone away from using mixed particle sized sand, it looks more natural, but due to sand sifting (by the fish and Malaysian Trumpet Snails) all of the big grains always end up on top via <"granular convection">.

cheers Darrel

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Thanks darrel!

Ye! I thougt of giving sands with mixed grain size a go, because i saw Ivan mikolji’s morichal river documentay.
I use riversand in all my tanks now, which is more or less evensized.

I think i just got thrown off by the phrase “naturally cosmetic”… -thanks for your input, all.
I guess i’ll just have to wait and see wether or not this “dream” will ever become a thing.

-r

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….