• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sand substrate

Joe Gatchell

Is pool filter sand an acceptable substrate for my p. Taeniatus? I want to provide the most appealing spawning environment. Also, to get the most fry survival for a spawn, should I have no tankmates, or do you suggest some type of dithers? (probably not the 6 rosy barbs I have sharing the tank with one pair right?). :)

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use washed white silica sand that I get at the home centers. 50lbs for about $5. If the pool filter sand is very fine it should work as well.

I find tht almost all of the dither fish I use end up eating at least some of the Apisto. fry. Pencil fish are considered one of the better dither fish as most are pretty poor t getting to the cichlid babies but even the pencils will manage to pick off a few babies.

That said, I keep a small tetra in with almost all of my breeding Apistos and just accept some fry loss.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Pool filter sand will work. I use silica sand, but only because I like the white color. I mix it with a very fine dark gravel (red flint #30) in a ratio of about 8:1 (sand to gravel).

Pelvicachromis species prefer to breed inside enclosed caves that are large enough inside for the male to turn around, and with a small enough opening that the female can easily block the entrance with her face. My favorite is 'breeding burritos' sold by plecocaves.com with a 1" opening.

Rosy barbs are probably a little too aggressive to be good dithers for P. taeniatus. They are robust, fast, bottom-oriented, grow as larger at the cichlids and are very good fry predators. I suggest something smaller and more top oriented. I like small danio species. White clouds are on the rise on my list. I also have some Aphyosemion sp. killifish in with P. taeniatus pairs.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Oops, sorry...don't know how I got onto S.A. dwarfs!

There are a number of great West African smaller barbs and tetras that make great dithers for P. taeniatus. The lamp eye killi group are among my favorite W.A. dithers though as they school well, hang at the top of the tank, are very active, and add a nice contrasting color to the tank.

Joe Gatchell

Now is the silica sand the stuff they use in cigarette barrels? Are there any specific kinds to use or are they all the same? (I guess I mean are there any that have chemicals that I should avoid?) Also, should I strictly be sticking to sponge filtration if I am using sand? Then just cleaning the substrate with a hose whatever collects on top?

Ted, I checked out that website, would it be better to provide a few of those 1" caves per pair?

Joe Gatchell

Ok I went to Lowes, they didn't have any pool filter sand. The guy didn't know what I was talking about when I said silica sand. The only thing I could find was Playsand. Would this be an ok substrate to use? I don't mind the color, it has natural tones to it. Looks like it could be a pain to clean though.

Joe Gatchell

Ok been a productive day. So, if you were a p. taeniatus pair, would you want to have babies in here? It's still got a little clearing up to do.

spawntank1.jpg

spawntank2.jpg

spawntank3.jpg

spawntank4.jpg

fish-n-chips

I really like how that tank looks Treefork! That's how you did your 29, eh? Hope your taenies are settling in, I would be in there if I had gills.

Joe Gatchell

I really like how that tank looks Treefork! That's how you did your 29, eh? Hope your taenies are settling in, I would be in there if I had gills.

Yeah they've settled in really well. I've actually added more wood and plants to it I need to update the photo. The male has been excavating sand out from under everything constantly. He buried like four of the swordplant leaves in sand, I have to keep cleaning them off so they don't die. :)

dconnors

I know its a little late for this, but I just found a substrate made by caribsea. It is called super natural substrate. It is supposedly inert so it will not affect the chemistry of your aquarium water. This was important to me because I have had problems in the past using just play sand with not being able to get my pH down. I will know fairly soon if the product works as advertised. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….