• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Request: Dwarf Crenicichla ID

boofeng

Hi everyone

My local fish shop brought in what they called "Crenicichla regani", catch location "Orinoco" (which isn't very helpful), and I wonder if anyone here can help to ID it more precisely. Here are some pics of the dominant female (sorry for low quality - my phone isn't so good). They're still juveniles I think, about 2-3 inches only now.

Some features I can see:
- eleven vertical bars when stressed
- single eyespot on females (I have four fish with a single eyespot, and two with no eyespots)
- red/pink marks around eyespots, and around eye, especially behind it
- flanks are sometimes iridescent pink/green
- dorsal, anal, and caudal fin sometimes show faint orange edging (it wavers between orange and pink/red, with the paler bits appearing orange sometimes, and the darker bits being consistently pink/red)
- there is a transparent longitudinal stripe near the top edge of the dorsal fin

I'm suspecting from the orange fin bits that this might be an intermediate between some notophthalmus species and the wallacii species found in the neighbouring basin (can't recall the name, Essequibo in Guyana?) - but looking forward to getting some info so I can recreate their biotope water conditions more accurately.

So far they're doing okay in pH 5 (using ADA Malaya to buffer pH), TDS 120-130 water (local tap). There's a bit of fungus on the subdominant fish from getting bitten but it's clearing up with time - I need to do water changes more frequently.

Attachments

• DSC_1083.jpg
    DSC_1083.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 540
  • DSC_1085.jpg
    DSC_1085.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 427
  • DSC_1074.jpg
    DSC_1074.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 415
  • DSC_1061.jpg
    DSC_1061.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 452
  • DSC_1042.jpg
    DSC_1042.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 448

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Obviously not C. regani because this 'superspecies' (many different forms/species) only occurs in the Amazon/Tocantins system. My guess is that it's a fish called as C. sp. Orinoco Dwarf or C. cf. wallacii. Dwarf pikes are not my thing, so I could be wrong. I suggest starting a search for information with these names.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
My Colombian wallacii had orange rimmed ocelli with no white to be seen. The Cr. sp. Orinoco Dwarf has red and white rimmed ocelli. There are also at least two other undescribed dwarves from the same area, and I have seem them come in as a mix together. The only one I can discount from the pictures is Cr. sp. Inridae dwarf. Definitely not that one.

I did buy one female with white rimmed ocelli thinking it was something different, but over time the white faded into orange. I'm not sure if this means that the Colombian wallacii goes through a change or not. I don't know any other dwarves that do.

boofeng

Thanks, Mike and dwarfpike. :)

So far, the orangeness isn't anywhere near the ocelli, it's on the rear edges of the dorsal, anal and tail fins. So maybe we can rule out a Colombian wallacii.

It does look quite similar to this fish: http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/en/crenicichla-cf-regani-orinoco_en_1310.html

And in terms of behaviour, so far they're tolerating each other (well, they're probably juveniles!).

I'll continue to document them as they grow - as dwarfpike points out the juvenile and mature coloration isn't always the same. Hopefully they'll grow a bit more, and I'll have better photos soon.

Thanks all, once again!

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
See in some of your pics there does look like orange around the dorsal ocelli ... but that could be the lighting, which is why I didn't give a more definite answer.

boofeng

See in some of your pics there does look like orange around the dorsal ocelli ... but that could be the lighting, which is why I didn't give a more definite answer.
It's probably lighting - the colouring around the ocelli look pretty consistently red/pink-based to me.

So mysterious. I took some more photos today but they're mostly blurry again. Will check back in once I have good pics!

boofeng

I figured that might be the case.

They are tough critters to catch a good pic of in my experience.
Yeah they are! I'll try again when I get my hands on a proper camera.

Anyway I can't get pics now that I'm dosing the whole tank with API Fungus Cure (that's Malachite Green and Acriflavin), and it's all green now. Surprisingly, though, the green disappears rather quickly - maybe I should turn off the lights. The fungus on their fins isn't disappearing in spite of water changes (10-20% every two/three days) and dosing Pimafix, so I'm escalating the meds. Fungus is also starting to get onto bodies too, though it isn't expanding on the fins. Only the dominant female and the smaller male is free of fungus, - which makes me wonder if there's a lot of unseen aggression going on in there (the tank is in an out of the way place, so I don't get to see it as much as I'd like).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….