• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about Dicrossus sp. Tapajos.

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
Hi, about 5 months ago I managed to snag 30 Dicrossus sp. Tapajos (they were being sold as Discrossus maculatus). They had the "dash" type spotting from the start and now that they have grown out they are dead ringers for the pictures in the Cichlid Atlas. I have an abundance of males (and would sell a few) and about 7 females. The males have colored up nicely and have good finnage. I think they are ready to breed but I have not seen any displaying (except with the males fighting among themselves). Does anyone have experience with them? I've bred maculatus and filamentosa by putting them in a 40G breeder with very soft, acidic(pH 5.5) water, feeding live foods and letting nature do its thing. Doesn't seem to be working with these guys. Should I try taking the pH even lower? Or raising the temp (they are at 78 degrees)? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

oldschool

5 Year Member
Steve,

I picked up D.sp. Tapajos being sold as maculatus as well years ago, so I bet that;s how many of them find their way to us. I did not find them harder to breed then maculatus or filamentosa. I might raise the temp to 82 f and do allot of water changes. For me clean water that was very acidic was a key to get the eggs to hatch. If they are not breeding for you my first two keys would be good feedings and lots of water changes they will breed. Getting the eggs to hatch is the trick. I use water that I allow to steep in a barrel with Oak leaves and Peat Moss. My pH was 4.5 and 30-60 us/cm 0 KH. In this type of water I have never had problems breeding black water species. Good luck Steve you are very luycky to have such a rare fish. I have not seen them in like 8 years wish you luck with yours and hope you can get them breeding I am sure many people will be excited to hear from you when you do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….