• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pls help me ID my agassizi

Champ_17

5 Year Member
I bought a pair of agassiszi from the seller who told me that it's agassizi tefe buana
I had search on the internet and I found there are many colour variety of agassizi tefe buana
some fish look much like cf. tefe witch tail's colour is black violet and white and some fish look much more yellow violet black and white on there tai.
I also attached pictures of my young male too. : )

Attachments

• tefe.jpg
    tefe.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 576
  • tefe2.jpg
    tefe2.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 515

Champ_17

5 Year Member
I wonder that my agassizi buana is the same species with apistogramma cf.tefe?
PS.this is my apistogramma cf.tefe .

Attachments

• Picture 145.jpg
    Picture 145.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 471

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I looked at your photos. From what I see they all show the holotype form of A. agassizii. This form is found between the lower Río Ucayali in Peru to Lago Manacapuru in Brazil. Both the Rio Tefé and Rio Buana are found within the species' range. In these rivers, A. agassizii occurs in the lower portions, while A. sp. Tefé (= A. cf. agassizii Tefé) is collected farther upstream. Forget looking at color in these 2 species. Both are very polychromatic, even at the same collecting locale. The major difference between the 2 species is the wavy dark (red - dark gray) stripes that show below (and often above) the lateral band on A. sp. Tefé, which on forms of A. agassizii do not appear.

Champ_17

5 Year Member
Picture 198 (Medium).jpg

Thankyou very much for your reply Mike.:) Because of more colour varieties and localities I afraid to mixed apisto agasizi from other variety since the female look very similar then i seperate my female from anoter tank.
And Finally I got babies of my agassizi which sold as name agasizi tefe buana (from your reply it not look like apistogramma tefe anymore I search on internet it look like agasizi alenqer.)

Champ_17

5 Year Member
Picture 186 (Medium).jpg

and now I seperated the male to plant tank. It very yong but its colour is more brillian than ever. : )

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I understand how you feel. I try to keep populations separate, too. Many domestic strains of A. agassizii are crosses between several forms/species of the A. agassizii superspecies. One need not worry about these, since they are already crosses - except to keep the strain pure. Your male still appears to be the holotype form of A. agassizii to me. The net-like pattern of the flanks of A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net) is much more pronounced.

Champ_17

5 Year Member
Thank a lot Mike. Because there are domestic breed So I won't worry about what there come from.(tefe or not)
Now I just happy to keep and bred them in my tank. I had got a male which look much pretty for me, its head look more red than other Agassizi I ever had. Now I had a fry of this male for 2 batch. I selected female from other strain that has more red colour in their head and I hope can get a babies which more red when there grown up.
Picture 272 (Small).jpg

and this is his babies : )
Picture 248 (Small).jpg

the male from strain of my female look more redish on their head as well but not much.
Picture 258 (Small).jpg

Attachments

• Picture 248 (Small).jpg
    Picture 248 (Small).jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 438

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….