• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ph always drops

Rycraft

Massive PH swings are usually indicative of low kH. Wood could be causing it, but as noted earlier 0 nitrates is concerning and likely means the tank is not cycled. You should have some measurable level of nitrates in the tank especially with minimal water changes like the ones you are doing. So either the tank is not cycled or your test strips are trash.

Use the API master test kit. Best $30 you will spend. And they have them to measure gH and kH as well which I would also recommend. Test strips are usually either garbage or not that accurate. They may be okay for a quick at a glance test, but if you're actually trying to troubleshoot issues then you should use the API master test kit.

Also, I would not keep a pair in a 10 gallon unless you are just looking for them to breed and will then move them to a larger (preferably a 20 or more gallon tank) tank while using the 10 gallon as a grow out for the fry. 10 gallon is just way to small for adult Apistogramma, especially a pair.

Linds6292

My two cents:

I'm not as experienced as the guys commenting above. I've only kept apistogramma for just over a year now, but I think this makes me perfect for beginner advice. I hope one of the others will correct me if I err.

1) Do at least 50% water changes every week. The few problems I have had killing fish I can trace back to when I have not done the water changes. 10-15% a week takes no less time than 50% in the scheme of things.

2) Don't worry too much about your pH dropping. 7 to 5 is not going to harm your fish. I fact, they will most likely be more comfortable at pH 5. I don't ever test my pH now. I did when I was starting out and realised two things. 1) I can't control it enough to keep it at one level. 2) At low pH (what appistos like) fluctuations happen.

3) Hardness is much more important. I'm lucky enough to have very soft water out of the tap. I use it straight for all my water changes. it looks like you don't. You may need to use RO water in your changes depending on your goals in keeping the fish. You might be able to keep them successfully at that hardness, but most likely they won't be fully comfortable and won't likely breed.

4) DO WATER CHANGES

Overall, I think they are easy to keep. Other than extra work when they breed (watching their behaviour, removing parent's as necessary and providing for the fry) all I do is change water. if I had to alter my water, I may have more work on my hands.

I don't want to be rude. But if you only work 5 days a week you have plenty of time to maintain one tank. I work 6 days a week and have 10 tanks. It comes down to what's important to you. If you have other things that are more important than your fish, that's fine, but be honest enough with yourself. Apistogramma require higher water quality than many other fish so you need to provide it. If you don't want to spend the time on them, get other fish. Preferably ones that like your tap water as is.

My two cents:

I'm not as experienced as the guys commenting above. I've only kept apistogramma for just over a year now, but I think this makes me perfect for beginner advice. I hope one of the others will correct me if I err.

1) Do at least 50% water changes every week. The few problems I have had killing fish I can trace back to when I have not done the water changes. 10-15% a week takes no less time than 50% in the scheme of things.

2) Don't worry too much about your pH dropping. 7 to 5 is not going to harm your fish. I fact, they will most likely be more comfortable at pH 5. I don't ever test my pH now. I did when I was starting out and realised two things. 1) I can't control it enough to keep it at one level. 2) At low pH (what appistos like) fluctuations happen.

3) Hardness is much more important. I'm lucky enough to have very soft water out of the tap. I use it straight for all my water changes. it looks like you don't. You may need to use RO water in your changes depending on your goals in keeping the fish. You might be able to keep them successfully at that hardness, but most likely they won't be fully comfortable and won't likely breed.

4) DO WATER CHANGES

Overall, I think they are easy to keep. Other than extra work when they breed (watching their behaviour, removing parent's as necessary and providing for the fry) all I do is change water. if I had to alter my water, I may have more work on my hands.

I don't want to be rude. But if you only work 5 days a week you have plenty of time to maintain one tank. I work 6 days a week and have 10 tanks. It comes down to what's important to you. If you have other things that are more important than your fish, that's fine, but be honest enough with yourself. Apistogramma require higher water quality than many other fish so you need to provide it. If you don't want to spend the time on them, get other fish. Preferably ones that like your tap water as is.
Thank you for all the advice ! Fortunately I fixed the problem and my fish are doing great ! And yeah 5-6 days a week from 830 am to 930 pm. So kinda hard to be completely focused on it working 65-70 hours a week

No aggression issues . I have all my water situations figured out . And I think my female may have eggs in a cave based on her behavior : she’s extremely yellow and barely comes out of the cave . She only comes out when I feed them . Or come very close to the tank ( thinking there being fed again ) the male seems to be watching the cave like a hawk from a distance to .

yukondog

5 Year Member
No matter how many hrs. a week you work you still have to do at least two water changes water changes a week, if you cant, you might want to think about having a tank at a later date when you can devote more time to your tank. Good luck

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, I think that is a bit dogmatic (really, no pun intended). Regular water changes? Definitely! How often and how much really depends on many factors: fish/plant density, tank volume, feeding regimine, etc. Many hobbyist find that once every week or 2 is sufficient to keep their fish healthy, long-lived, and breeding.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….