• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pH 7.6 KH 5-6, GH 8-10 - What dwarfs will do best?

Jayhawk

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I haven't been here for a year or so after a brief affair with Tanganyikan cichlids. My water is as above (pH 7.6, KH 5-6, GH 8-10). Are there any SA or African dwarf cichlids (excluding Tangs & Malawians) that will do well and possibly even breed in these conditions?

I'd thought of possibly N. anomola, L. curviceps, M. altispinosa, keyholes (maybe just above dwarf size), or Kribs, because I think I've read these fish are more tolerant of the higher pH I have.

What do you all recommend?

Thanks,

Eric

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:) Your water conditins are more appropriate for fish that do not require the ultra soft parameters. The kribs you mentioned, though not south american, would be my suggestion. Pel. pulcher will do fine. The other Pel. species will do well, but may not produce fry for you.

On an SA side of the pond, I think that the A. borelli might be a good choice. There are a few Central American cichlids (sajica, spinisissimum) that would do well.

2la

5 Year Member
For South American dwarfs, A. eunotus (my current favorite) and A. cacatuoides would also do fine. Basically, any of the whitewater but not exclusively blackwater species should work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….