• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis taeniatus and subocellatus

mybirdshit

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I have 2 pairs of Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Dehane" and 1 pair Pelvicachromis subocellatus "Matadi".

The question I have in mind is, to those who have bred taeniatus, based on some of your personal experiences, what pH brings on about the closest 50/50 sex ratio?

Same question for subocellatus, please.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have not noticed a huge difference in sex ratio in taeniatus... I have experienced it a lot more frequently in Pel. pulcher. I keep my P. taeniatus is water that is about pH 6.8.

apistobob

5 Year Member
I have produced many spawns of both species. Generally I have found sex ratios to be pretty good. With subocellatus I have always been in the vicinity of 50/50.

Recently my taeniatus spawns have tended to be higher percentage male. However, I am getting at least 30% female so I am not worried about it.

I have never seen a strong correlation between pH and sex ratio. However, I have to admit that I rarely test any more. Give them good water, good food and you should get good results.

I keep taeniatus breeders in a couple of different tanks and will check the pH to see if it is out of the norms. If I think there is something there I will post.

Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….