• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pairing Apistogramma borellii 'standard' and 'opal'

flori

Hi, I can't find a satisfactory answer to this seemingly obvious question: can males and females of A. borellii's two variants be kept together and bred? Everything I read so far says: yes.

So my question is really: should it be done and is there any downsides?

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Yes, but you will end up with ugly fish. You can mix every color of Crayon together, but the result will be a brown blob! :)

Pick one you like and keep it. Or pick only males of both variants. This is my opinion.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Actually what is now sold as 'Opal' are the offspring of more colorful males in wild populations. By crossing the 2 you will get something closer to what is seen in the wild - mostly fish without red streaks on the face and some that do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….