• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Odd Behaving Apistos

MHEAD

5 Year Member
I have had a male and two female gold cacatuoides for six months and most times (only 2-3 times a day) when I approached the tank they would come to the surface looking for food. Now, when I approach they dart back and forth crazily and then hide--even when I put in food. Sometimes even the food causes this behavior. Has anyone had the same experience? What should I do?

Tea

5 Year Member
hello

Hello it sounds like you might want to try some dither fish in there to help. Ime pencil fish and oto's make great tank mates because if your fish do spawn they won't bother the fry and they aren't aggressive towards the apisto's. This should make your fish less spooky. Hope this helps Vue

eklikewhoa

5 Year Member
Maybe something has scared them.

I got a group of Golds and they spawned shortly after and now less then a month later I have three batches of eggs. I have a herd of Gold white clouds in with them and the Apisto's swim around all the time except for the ones that are watching eggs.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sudden 'spookiness' in fish can be due to some toxin getting into the water. A 2 or 3 large water changes on consecutive days might help. If it does, then look for possible sources (air pump intake, air spray, ...)

MHEAD

5 Year Member
Thanks to all of you. Since any toxin(s) is a serious problem I will start with a water test and a water change. From what I have read, adding some dithers after that seems like a good idea--I was thinking of a couple of glowlights. I have some zebra danios in with a pair of kribs but I think they may be too active for the apistos. Will 3 apistos and then a couple of glowlights in one half of a divided 10 gal be too small? My tank space is getting filled but these fish are so beautiful I prefer to have more rather than less.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I prefer to keep schooling tertras like the glowlights in schools of at least 6. They tend to keep to themselves; pairs often act abnormally. That is why I prefer non-schooling species like pencilfish. In my opinion - unless you have an exceptionally well decorated 10 - half of a 10 is too small for even a pair of A. cacatuoides. If you are willing to chance losses, give it a try. Just keep an eye on everybody.

MHEAD

5 Year Member
Mike, thanks for the info. None of the LFS have any pencilfish but one will order them for me. Is there a particular one that you prefer?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I like them all. Any will work. I find that A. beckfordi (Gold Pencil) is the rowdy one of the bunch. The angle-swimming N. eques & N. unifasciatus are probably the least likely to consider fry a form of food. I really like the Dwarf Pencil, N. marginatus, which often breed in the same tank with the apistos.

MHEAD

5 Year Member
Mike, thanks again. I moved some fish around so now I have the male and two female cacs alone in a 10 gal. So far, they have spent most of today hiding in various pots I have in the tank. I did check the nitrates which were a little high but no different than all my other tanks. If this behavior continues it sounds like some pencil fish are next on my list. How many would you recommend for this 10 gal?

eklikewhoa

5 Year Member
I have a school of golden white clouds with mine and that might be helping their timidness.

MHEAD

5 Year Member
About white clouds, one LFS told me that they are illegal here in Massachusetts--but I seem to recall seeing some several months ago. I will do some research on this but perhaps I could get them on Aquabid.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….