• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

nijsseni, hongsloi, and agassizi

sitra88

today i got four hongsloi 2, four nijsseni, and two agassizi net "tefe blue". I put them all together in a 37 gallon tank that is well planted and lots of hiding places. Are these fish compatible with each other? Im worried that they might end up being aggressive towards one another considering that they are different species.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
That is a lot of territorial fish for such comparatively a small aquarium. I expect that you will see aggression - and some losses. Puts some pieces of floating pipe in the corners of the aquarium, where the 'losing fish' can hide from the winners. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a disease or 2 pop up, due to the stress that will occur.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Can you please post pictures of the cf. agassizii Nets? I've seen some fish offered lately under that name with a lot of orange in the fins and lacking the "nets" scale pattern/markings but I'd love to see some more pictures of them to get a better idea.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have to agree, Jeff. The name (agassizi net "tefe blue") is a contradiction. A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net) populations only occur in northern tributaries of the Amazon below the Rio Negro. The Rio Tefé is a southern tributary of the Amazon well above the Rio Negro. Sittra, did you get these fish from Wetspot? I think I remember them selling a fish labeled A. cf. agassizii netz "Tefe Pearl Blue".

animalmgc

5 Year Member
aggienets.jpg

this is what I bought from wet spots thsat Mike identified as Agassizii cf Nets
these were originally sold as Agassizii tefe pearl blues

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, the photo shows A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net) - but definitely has nothing to do with the Rio Tefé. My guess - and only a guess - is that these fish are domestic offspring of wild A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net) that were sold as A. agassizii Tefe. This still is common. Someone had the parents properly IDd and the breeder left the 'Tefe' name on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….