• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

nice planted tank site

aspen

5 Year Member
if you are trying to grow plants in your aquarium, or are interested in doing so, well, you should be doing research. and i hope that by now you have found the 'aquatic gardeners association' website. but if you haven't, well here's the url. http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org

it is chock full of nice pics of tanks, with full descriptions. i esp like browsing the pics and tank details from contests gone by, and anxiously await the new ones, coming out in november, from this year's contest.

i also esp enjoy this article http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/budget.html if you are thinking about a planted tank, or are having issues about one that you already have, the ideas in this article are straight forward, and put things into perspective. anyway, i hope that you like it.

rick

jowens

5 Year Member
As luck would have it, I just ordered some plants from there last week. They arrive this week. The woman I spoke to was very good on the phone - full of advice, with an excellent knowledge of plant requirements. They have a $35 order minimum, which isn't too bad. $15 shipping in the USA.

The moment of truth, of course, will be when the package arrives...but I suspect things will look good. I'll let everyone know.

I agree it's an excellent site. They put lots of time in.

aspen

5 Year Member
sorry j, you must have a wired crossed. the aga is not a commercial site. but i do believe that members share clippings.

good luck with the new plants! what did you order? what sized tank are you planting?

rick

jowens

5 Year Member
Yep, I'm wrong. I ordered from: www.trueaquariumplants.com

I was debating getting some glossostigma, but got nervous in the end and went instead with lilaeopsis as a foreground plant. It's for my community 46-gallon tank. Right now, one side is overgrown with swords, which I kind of like since it supplies hiding spots for extra Apistos and provides a real good "plant engine," for eating waste and spitting out O2. But on the other side I want to put down a "lawn" with some smaller background plants in the back. Basically this will look like a large swimming space, but there will be enough of a tangled carpet at the bottom, that some hiding can go on there too.

I ordered some smaller plants that you'd ordinarily use for the mid to forground, which will serve as the background plants on the open side. Their names escape me right now, but they were recommended by the staff.

They should arrive today. I'll let you know how it works, and hopefully have some digital photos online before too long.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….