• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

[Disease?] Apistogramma Agassizii - Help Identify

loirUh

5 Year Member
Hi guys.
Hope you all are doing ok!

Yesterday I noticed my Male Agassizii had a weird growth in his ventral fin.

I immediately isolated the fish and applied esha2000 preventatively. (although I don't know if it is a viral, bacterial or other problem)
I did some reading and the most identical thing I could identify was the Lymphocystis viral infection (apparently without any medication that could help).
In any case, I would like your opinion on what could be affecting my fish. How can I help the healing process? Is it possible to predict whether this disease will be contagious?

Yesterday I carried out the treatment with esha, and today I will perform a water change of around 30/40%.

Sorry for the low quality pics, but is hard to get good quality photos while zooming.
(note: although in some pictures it looks like the growth might be attached to the body i can 100% confirm that it is located in the ventral fin)

20231007_145926.jpg
20231007_150121.jpg
20231007_150155.jpg
20231007_150200.jpg
20231007_150317.jpg
20231007_150319.jpg
20231007_150540.jpg
20231007_150550.jpg
20231007_150616.jpg
20231007_151321.jpg
20231007_151341.jpg
20231007_151518.jpg
20231007_151617.jpg
20231007_151747.jpg
20231007_151824.jpg
20231007_151827.jpg

MacZ

Definitely Lymphocystis on an old fish. Spare it the eSHa and get rid of that stuff properly. That "med" killed more fish over the decades than it saved.

loirUh

5 Year Member
Definitely Lymphocystis on an old fish. Spare it the eSHa and get rid of that stuff properly. That "med" killed more fish over the decades than it saved.
Thanks for your input Mac.
I've already performed a big water change and I have not applied eSHa this time.
What should i do with the fish? Is this harmful of painful for the fish?
is it safe to have him with a female and other fishes?

Thanks again

MacZ

What should i do with the fish?
The fish is showing signs of age, so I doubt it will see the end of 2024.

Is this harmful of painful for the fish?
The visible tumor is probably a bit inconvenient, but that's it. If it has inner growths as well this might end it a bit earlier.

is it safe to have him with a female and other fishes?
Sadly not. Lymphocystis is contagious and as there is no treatment the fish has to stay isolated (including equipment like hoses) until it dies.It is possible to infect all other fish in the same tank and even if they don't show symptoms they may become carriers. It would be irresponsible to possibly spread this disease when juveniles are rehomed etc.

Btw: Make sure not to work in that tank while you have any wounds or scratches on your hand, there are reports of zoonosis of Lymphocystis to humans. While it seems to be just an irregular occurance and not a given that it can jump classes, I'd be cautious.

loirUh

5 Year Member
The fish is showing signs of age, so I doubt it will see the end of 2024.

The visible tumor is probably a bit inconvenient, but that's it. If it has inner growths as well this might end it a bit earlier.

Sadly not. Lymphocystis is contagious and as there is no treatment the fish has to stay isolated (including equipment like hoses) until it dies.It is possible to infect all other fish in the same tank and even if they don't show symptoms they may become carriers. It would be irresponsible to possibly spread this disease when juveniles are rehomed etc.

Btw: Make sure not to work in that tank while you have any wounds or scratches on your hand, there are reports of zoonosis of Lymphocystis to humans. While it seems to be just an irregular occurance and not a given that it can jump classes, I'd be cautious.

Hi again and thanks for the feedback. Should I consider euthanizing this fish?
If I decide to euthanize this specimen, what should be done to the aquarium? Will the virus "disappear" because it has no host or will it continue to be in the aquarium? (I have snails in the aquarium, can they carry this virus?)

Regards

MacZ

Should I consider euthanizing this fish?
Until it gets obvious the animal is suffering from its condition I would NEVER consider euthanizing it. Only in cases of Fish-TB, DGIV/EUS or genuine Neon tetra disease culling is advised. So as long as it swims properly, eats and doesn't suffer any problems... leave it be.

Snails are not a vector for the virus. Usually viruses survive between 9 hours and 3 months without a host (rare exceptions are known but irrelevant in this case). I can't tell you what timeframe to expect with Lymphocystis. A month without fish should be enough. For comparison: DGIV (dwarf gourami iridovirus) seems to take 6-8 weeks to be gone without a host. If there is anything left you will notice it after 4-6 months with new fish at the earliest.

Alternatively restart the tank and disinfect the hardware. (And you don't have to use very aggressive disinfectants! Don't go overkill.)

loirUh

5 Year Member
Until it gets obvious the animal is suffering from its condition I would NEVER consider euthanizing it. Only in cases of Fish-TB, DGIV/EUS or genuine Neon tetra disease culling is advised. So as long as it swims properly, eats and doesn't suffer any problems... leave it be.

Snails are not a vector for the virus. Usually viruses survive between 9 hours and 3 months without a host (rare exceptions are known but irrelevant in this case). I can't tell you what timeframe to expect with Lymphocystis. A month without fish should be enough. For comparison: DGIV (dwarf gourami iridovirus) seems to take 6-8 weeks to be gone without a host. If there is anything left you will notice it after 4-6 months with new fish at the earliest.

Alternatively restart the tank and disinfect the hardware. (And you don't have to use very aggressive disinfectants! Don't go overkill.)
Once again thank you! thank you very much.

Guess i just let him be, and follow up on his condition. It's sad, but it is what it is.
I'm a bit against using medication and/or desinfectants (esha was used in a desperation move), so i'll just wait a few months after introducing any other fish in the tank, in case this one eventually ends up dying.

regards!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….