• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tank - 108L

Gaisller

Hello.

I'm starting a new tank, the dimensions are 90 x 30 x 40.

UOKPE4582.JPG

It's not ready yet but I'm planing to keep Apistogramma abacaxis in here.

Can a pair or maybe trio live togheter in this dimensions? I read that males can be really bullys...

Are there any other species that would fit nice here? I was thinking in A. mendezi maybe... Abacaxis are not the easiest fish to find here, so I'm ok if I need to change the species.

Also, I already bought the filter, the lighting and the thermostat and this weekend I'm going to buy the substrate and will look for leaves and driftwoods.

I'll appreciate suggestions.

Thank you!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It definitely is possible if properly decorated - that is the important part. Remember, no fish in any part of the tank should be able to see across the entire length.

Gaisller

Thank you, Mike!

Already buy a pair from a local breeder. He will send me when the tank is ready.

My tap water pH is around 7.0~7.2, so I have to low my tank first. Besides cycling of course.

As soon as I finish the decoration I'll uptade here.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I kept and bred my abacaxis trio in a slightly smaller tank than yours: 20 gallon Long. The bottom dimensions are the same, the height was only 30 cm, but most apistos only utilize the bottom 8"/25cm anyway.

anewbie

I kept and bred my abacaxis trio in a slightly smaller tank than yours: 20 gallon Long. The bottom dimensions are the same, the height was only 30 cm, but most apistos only utilize the bottom 8"/25cm anyway.
Did you care for the species or find it kind of boring ?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I found them attractive (male), but not particularly interesting behavior-wise, sort of like A. agassizii. I find nijsseni-group species more interesting in their behavior. They bred and reproduced readily and without problems at pH 5.5 and soft water.

anewbie

I found them attractive (male), but not particularly interesting behavior-wise, sort of like A. agassizii. I find nijsseni-group species more interesting in their behavior. They bred and reproduced readily and without problems at pH 5.5 and soft water.
Is there any species in the Nijsseni group that is relatively passive and could be used in a small colony that is 48 inch x 30 inches. My understanding is at least Nijjsseni (species) is very aggressive and keeping more than one pair would require an extremely large aquarium.

Gaisller

Hello.

Does anybody have pictures of the A. abacaxis in the wild? I'll try to copy their natural habitat in this tank but found just a few - to none - pictures of the Abacaxis river online.

I know that must be similar to amazon rivers in general, but I'm trying to make it similar as I can to the original river.

Tips will be helpfull as well.

MacZ

I'll try to copy their natural habitat in this tank but found just a few - to none - pictures of the Abacaxis river online.
I think once you got the habitat type down, you can do with any river described the same.
As far as I know Rio Abacaxis is an intermediate black/clearwater river, there are Igarapés and Igapós along it. The pictures taken above water confirm this.

So you'll need:
Inert, fine light sand, leaf litter, wood, some swamp plants, preferrably being able to grow emersed. Done. Rest is your style of scaping.

MacZ

While not my first choice (more of a Pistia or Limnobium kind of person) but a legitimate one nonetheless.

anewbie

How old? Will need to know how much space I need in the fridge. I'll be working in the library again on Tuesday. I can a look in the database maybe I ccn get a scan somewhere.
Probably should have offered his first born fry rather than his first born ;)

MacZ

Yep. Never know if there's a leprechaun or a troll listening. ;)

I'm still going to try and get a copy. What do I have this job for if not for the access to all the databases? ^^

Gaisller

I'm still adjusting my water parameters.

pH is around 6,6~6,4. I'm trying to low it a little bit.

So... My water is "milky". How can I solve this problem? Doing more WCs? I'm about to buy a second filter for this tank, maybe a canister. What do you think? Would it be helpfull?

Captura de tela 2023-07-18 074422.png
IMG_7229.JPG
IMG_7233.JPG

I also buy a black background for the aquarium.

Do you have any sugestions?

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Good start. Also thinking of your other tank
As for the milky water, i guess it’s just “sediment leftovers”. It will settle in a few days.
If you already have a filter in the tank, i don’t see any needs for adding one more. Most if not all apistos prefer slow water movement.
Just don’t overstock the tank.
In regards to background, i have always just used cardboard. It’s nice, cheap and easy to swap. Sometimes you might have to hide the seam if you use more than one piece.

Looking forward to see the final result.

-r

Gaisller

Good start. Also thinking of your other tank
As for the milky water, i guess it’s just “sediment leftovers”. It will settle in a few days.
If you already have a filter in the tank, i don’t see any needs for adding one more. Most if not all apistos prefer slow water movement.
Just don’t overstock the tank.
In regards to background, i have always just used cardboard. It’s nice, cheap and easy to swap. Sometimes you might have to hide the seam if you use more than one piece.

Looking forward to see the final result.

-r
Thank you, Rasmus!

Yes, I do have a filter already. I was afraid that it's subdimensioned. But I'll wait a couple days to see if the water gets clear.

The tank will have just a pair of A. abacaxis and maybe (a big maybe) a school of pencil fish.

I'll update here as soon as possible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….