• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newly identified pencil fish?

Sowah

One of my fish shops near where I live is going to sell what they called a newly identified pencil fish, I haven’t seen them myself, just wondering if anyone have seen them before?
I feel like he has photoshopped quite a bit but here’s a picture sent from the shop owner

Attachments

• 49094AA7-E478-4A5B-B780-F3D105C466A5.jpeg
    49094AA7-E478-4A5B-B780-F3D105C466A5.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Interresting but yes it does look like a “color enhaced” n. Beckfordi “red”.
Not sure if the “red” is a natural color variation, to begin with.

-r

Sowah

Can you link the source of the picture?
I don't have a source to the picture, the shop owner told me it's a type of wc fish, not domestic strain.
So it seems like it is N. beckfordi? But the colour looks a bit different from the typical type of N. beckfordi?

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Thinking of how many variations there is of n. Marginatus, it’s probally quite plausible there is more variations of beckfordi too. It could be a red/Golden beckfordi with a lot of blue sheen (not sure if that is spelled correctly)..?

if you decide to buy some of them, make sure to post some pictures for the rest of us

-r

Sowah

Thinking of how many variations there is of n. Marginatus, it’s probally quite plausible there is more variations of beckfordi too. It could be a red/Golden beckfordi with a lot of blue sheen (not sure if that is spelled correctly)..?

if you decide to buy some of them, make sure to post some pictures for the rest of us

-r
Are there many variations of n. marginatus? I have never seen shops selling them in my area.
Might not buy them if they are of the n. beckfordi strain but I'll try to take a picture if I pass by.

I got a few of the n. marilynae few weeks ago, they were with my black shirt tetras originally but I believe 4 of them got eaten the next morning. Didnt expect they could fit a whole n. marilynae in their mouth. So the rest are with my apistogramma fries now.

MacZ

I don't have a source to the picture, the shop owner told me it's a type of wc fish, not domestic strain.
So it seems like it is N. beckfordi? But the colour looks a bit different from the typical type of N. beckfordi?

As I found out it's just a photoshopped (colourenhanced and mirrored) stockfoto of N. beckfordi. That's why I always do a source check on such pictures.

Sowah

As I found out it's just a photoshopped (colourenhanced and mirrored) stockfoto of N. beckfordi. That's why I always do a source check on such pictures.
Yeah from your link, it's just n. beckfordi, let's see if there's any difference when it comes in. They should be there some time next week according to the shop owner.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Are there many variations of n. marginatus? I have never seen shops selling them in my area.
Might not buy them if they are of the n. beckfordi strain but I'll try to take a picture if I pass by.

I got a few of the n. marilynae few weeks ago, they were with my black shirt tetras originally but I believe 4 of them got eaten the next morning. Didnt expect they could fit a whole n. marilynae in their mouth. So the rest are with my apistogramma fries now.
As far as i know there are some differences in brazillian vs. Peruvian populations. Mostly in regards to the red spot and Line thickness. Plus there is also a “Golden” version from Peru.

-r

MacZ

Yeah from your link, it's just n. beckfordi, let's see if there's any difference when it comes in. They should be there some time next week according to the shop owner.
I just hope the store owner isn't falling for that age-old trick himself and only tried it on you.

Sowah

As far as i know there are some differences in brazillian vs. Peruvian populations. Mostly in regards to the red spot and Line thickness. Plus there is also a “Golden” version from Peru.

-r
Very interesting, I didn't know there're different populations. I think the Golden bit is the golden hue from wc tetras to protect itself from parasites? They usually disappear slowly in home aquarium.

Sowah

I just hope the store owner isn't falling for that age-old trick himself and only tried it on you.
It could be, the owner told me he didn't know much about nannostomus himself, it's probably a fraud from his supplier, let's see what he got later.

MacZ

Very interesting, I didn't know there're different populations. I think the Golden bit is the golden hue from wc tetras to protect itself from parasites? They usually disappear slowly in home aquarium.
There are no aquatic parasites that go by visual almost all follow biochemical signatures or spread in numbers to hit a host by chance. I would rather suspect it's a adaption to visibility in their home waters for potential partners or to evade predation, as many fish get that colouration back when kept in conditions close to nature.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
N. beckfordi has several junior synonyms: Nannostomus anomalus Steindachner, 1876; Nannostomus aripirangensis Meinken, 1931; Nannostomus simplex Eigenmann, 1909; Nannostomus beckfordi surinami Hoedeman, 1954. Back in the Dark ages, when I started to first keep pencilfish, N. beckfordi was sold as N. anomala, which had a light golden hue and imported from Guyana. The darker form, with more red on fins and body from the lower Amazon were sold as N. aripirangensis.

As for N. marginatus, there are many populations with subtle differences. I have collected forms from different locations in Peru that I could separate by subtle differences in body markings and color.

Dr. Stanley Weitzman (God rest his soul) was the authority on nannostomins - and a hard-core 'lumper'. Rumor mill was that several of his proteges were eager to split this (super) species into several species, but out of respect for this great ichthyologist would not. Now with genetic testing, I expect to see a lot of species-splitting in the future

Sowah

There are no aquatic parasites that go by visual almost all follow biochemical signatures or spread in numbers to hit a host by chance. I would rather suspect it's a adaption to visibility in their home waters for potential partners or to evade predation, as many fish get that colouration back when kept in conditions close to nature.
Hmm interesting, I have never heard of the above two hypothesis. I dont think there's any research paper done for the occurrence of the golden hue?
I agreed looking for potential partners to be one of the reasons, not sure about evading predation because the golden hue kinda increase their visibility in this case?
I remember reading somewhere that says the colouration disappears after he added an anti-parasitic medication

Sowah

N. beckfordi has several junior synonyms: Nannostomus anomalus Steindachner, 1876; Nannostomus aripirangensis Meinken, 1931; Nannostomus simplex Eigenmann, 1909; Nannostomus beckfordi surinami Hoedeman, 1954. Back in the Dark ages, when I started to first keep pencilfish, N. beckfordi was sold as N. anomala, which had a light golden hue and imported from Guyana. The darker form, with more red on fins and body from the lower Amazon were sold as N. aripirangensis.

As for N. marginatus, there are many populations with subtle differences. I have collected forms from different locations in Peru that I could separate by subtle differences in body markings and color.

Dr. Stanley Weitzman (God rest his soul) was the authority on nannostomins - and a hard-core 'lumper'. Rumor mill was that several of his proteges were eager to split this (super) species into several species, but out of respect for this great ichthyologist would not. Now with genetic testing, I expect to see a lot of species-splitting in the future
Thank you for your very detailed information Mike!

I guess what we see mostly nowadays in fish shops are commercially bred n. beckfordi, it would kinda be impossible to see different strains of them.

That makes sense! Different locations of the same species would have slightly different genetic variations, just like apistos

MacZ

Hmm interesting, I have never heard of the above two hypothesis. I dont think there's any research paper done for the occurrence of the golden hue?
I agreed looking for potential partners to be one of the reasons, not sure about evading predation because the golden hue kinda increase their visibility in this case?
I remember reading somewhere that says the colouration disappears after he added an anti-parasitic medication

Oh, I was just shooting possibilities, as many similar colour changes have one of these two reasons. Increased visibility is often used to irritate predators, so even when we as humans can look through it, that doesn't mean it's not an advantage in the wild.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….