• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New West African Cichlid Book

Randall

5 Year Member
To the entire "Westie" crew,

Just in from Tetra-Verlag is Linke & Staeck's new 2002 edition of Cichlids of West Africa, with a catch. The book is only available in German.

Thought everyone would like to know.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Finatic_LasVegas

5 Year Member
Bloody figures!

Ah well, Randall, we'll just have to wait for the English version, much like with the Apisto books. Obviously the pictures are worth the money anyway (of new fish anyhow) but I like a little reading material. :lol:

Ta-ta,
Wendy

Neil

Randall,
Although my German is inadequate, I would love to get ahold of this book. Are you planning to get it? If so, count me in. I am not sure that I want to wait a possible few years for a English version. I can always sucker someone (like Max or David) into translating a few lines for me if absolutely necessary. Wie viel ist es? 8O
Neil

Randall

5 Year Member
Die Buntbarsche aus Westafrika

Dear Neil,

"Das book ist Billig, aber die Flugpost ist sehr teuer!"

They want as much to ship via airmail as they do for the book--about $27 x 2. I'm going to ask them why the shipping is so high and suggest that they send via DHL instead.

If you'd like a copy, I'll count you in. Just let me work on the shipping cost first, please.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Finatic_LasVegas

5 Year Member
Overseas Book Sales

Randall,
If AquaBid wasn't down, I'd recommend you'd contact "Bookman" in Denmark. I've ordered books from him before and he had GREAT prices and reasonable shipping....maybe someone on the forum knows his email?
Good luck!
Wendy

Randall

5 Year Member
Bookman

Hey Wendy!

If you paid Bookman via PayPal, you can check your account info and get his email address that way. I really don't want to have to pay as much for shipping as I do for the book. This one guy in Germany wants about $27.00 for the book and an additional $28.00 for shipping. Go figure.

On a more up note, my new 120-gallon tank arrives next week, and I'm getting some Parananochromis longirostus from Toyin for it. He has the Cameroon variety which, unlike the Gabon, has an irridescent green body and a bright coppery-orange head and operculum. Don't even think of emailing him: he's saving his only 2 pairs for me!

Take care.

Randall Kohn

Finatic_LasVegas

5 Year Member
Parananochromis

Randall,
You big meanie! Making me drool so early in the week! :)
Tony Orso had Parananochromis caudofasciatus (think it was caudo) at ACA. They were LOVELY!!!!! Please keep us informed on how they do once they've settled in!
Cheers,
Wendy

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sucker who --I have a copy Neil--autographed by Wolfgang Staeck himself I got it at the last Dwarf Cichlid Society meeting I went to with Uwe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:D

If we are looking to minimize shipping costs Randall, count me in on one of those books. Anyone know someone in Germany who can recieve them there and DHL them? $27 might not be that bad... I have a UPS daily pick-up account, which means I get the good rates, and one pound from West Germany with their slowest service would cost me about $45.

Published by Tetra-Verlang? I can check to see if I can get it through their distribution system if it is. I might have to get a dozen.... think a dozen people in here would want it?

Randall

5 Year Member
Buntbarsche aus Westafrika, Tetra Verlag

Dear Ted,

The best deal I was able to find on the L&S third edition (2002) was from Wolfgang Glaser at animalbook.de. Their website address is http://www.animalbook.de, and the email address is [email protected]. Express mail service from Germany is so prohibitively expensive that, in my opinion, it doesn't justify the quicker delivery time.

Randall Kohn

Sam

5 Year Member
W. African Cichlid Book

Groovy, the old book is great, but doesn't have the great new color morphs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….