• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Issue - Intruder Alert

W

Webfeet

Got the last of my plants in and in the process I noticed this big bug in the tank sitting on my driftwood. It must of come in on one of the previous plants and I didn't notice it. I am 95% sure it is a dragonfly nymph. It is about 3/4 inch long. Now I know these things are predatory and mostly feed on other insect larvae, but can attack small fish So far he hasn't found my grass shrimp. I am suppose to get 2 pair of Agassizi's next week. So, my question is, should I worry about this and try to get it out? How do I go about doing that? Or will the Agassizi's just make a nice snack out of it?

Thanks for any advice,

Marc

W

Webfeet

You missed the part about the plants? This is a community tank that is heavily planted, and is scaped with rocks and tree roots. In the wild these nymphs hide under rocks and roots. So I would have to pull the whole tank apart, find it, re-plant everything and then wait for the tank to recycle. I would rather not have to do all that.....I'm just funny that way :redface: !

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Once a dragonfly larva gets to full length (some are over 3"/7.5 cm!) they can catch smaller adult apistos. It will be well worth the effort to remove it. Another option is to use something like Clout that contains an organophosphate, which is an insecticide. It should kill the larvae, but I don't know what it will do to the plants.

Xanathos

5 Year Member
I used to keep those bugs in a bucket when I was a kid, along with giant water bug ( I'm sorry, dont know the exact english word for those ). Trust me about the part where they say that dragonfly are predatory : they are. And they can eat something truly amazin.

I used to go to the pet store to buy some feeder goldfish for them. I took only the smallest of course but they didnt seem to have any trouble find them. They are fantastic creature to observe :)

About removing it... I would remove the plants, treat them with alun or something like that just to be sure, and try to find the nymph before putting any small fish in this tank.

Otherwise, you might become the father of a well fed future dragonfly, even if the nymph usually stay in this form for 1-2 years, depending on the species. :)

Phil

W

Webfeet

Well, I got it out!! Came home late Wednesday evening and it was sitting in some Sagitarius in the corner. Took a couple of nets, and a couple of tries, but I got him trapped and out. Didn't even uproot any of the plants. What a mean, looking thing!!! Put it in a jar on my desk for a couple of days and then dumped it in a pond. Good thing I got him too!....Got 3 pairs of Killies Saturday. Now if I can just get some agassizis! :biggrin:

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I used to keep tanks just for aquatic insects. If you ever have the chance to set up a ten and keep some you will really enjoy them. I favorite are the 'predacious diving bugs', not to be confused with a beetle. The bugs will breed in a tank and carry the eggs on their back. They will also eat anything, including pellet food.

Nick S.

5 Year Member
tjudy said:
I favorite are the 'predacious diving bugs', not to be confused with a beetle. The bugs will breed in a tank and carry the eggs on their back. They will also eat anything, including pellet food.
I've had a 15g for several years with just a few Zebra Danios in it that I have put giant water beetles in in the fall when they are migrating, and kept them for 2 to 3 months til they die of old age. They would come to the surface for flake food the same as the fish. One was 2" long but never caught the Zebras. They make a great conversation subject though. It is amazing how versatile the Zebras are though, I had them in an unheated tank for 2 years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….