• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Here -- Saying Hello and a Species Question

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
Whilst doing some research, I found this site and thought I might register and say hello :)

Looking forward to talking to folks here. I do have a question though, concerning the many variations of apistos.

I'm considering taking a 20g high tank I have lying about and making an apisto home out of it. I'm undecided on what species to choose, however.

I'd like a fish with some size to it, as well as some vibrant color. One that is more bold than shy ... is there an apisto like this?

briztoon

5 Year Member
G'day Rhaethe,

Welcome to Apistogramma Forums from another relative noob to the species. Where abouts are you in the world. I find that if you do include your location, you do get a few more responses from other local hobbiests.

In my limited experience, I have found the line bred cacatuoides variants to be very out going. My personal addiction is to apistos from the agassizii complex. Once they get to know you, they aren't skitish at all. One often recommended species here is Apistogramma panduro.

However it comes down to what apistos are available to you.

Nearly forgot. I wouldn't necessarily be looking for a larger species for a 20 gallon high tank.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with briztoon, A. cacatuoides is an excellent fish for this, and a good beginner's fish, too. I'd also recommend A. steindachneri. It's not as colorful, but large and, like A. cacatuoides, is relatively peaceful and doesn't make major demands on water conditions.

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
I adjusted my profile to include my location :)

The fish club I belong to has breeders of a fair number of species ... I wouldn't have too much a problem acquiring any one in specific. Mostly cacs, rotpunkt, borelli, agassizi, and I think one does panduro.

I have two other mixed bag community tanks, so am fairly comfortable with basic care. I will say, however, that I am not the best person for plants. Even anubias does poorly for me ... although I can grow Christmas Moss like nobody's business :biggrin:

The tank will probably end up being 'scaped with driftwood, rocks, and moss. This will probably be a factor in what kind of apisto I get as well.

By larger, I supposed I should clarify ... one of my tanks already specializes in "mini-fish", and I was hoping to find a fish species that grew larger than 2 inches :) I also appreciate nice fins.

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
Oh, I really like the branch dealie in the second picture.

Now to find out where to acquire something similar.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Plants aren't necessary. Some people like plants becuase they make the tank look a little nicer. The only plants I have in my apisto tanks are java moss and anubis nana.

Is true and I really like both Anubias sp. and "Java" moss and have them in all my tanks, but plants are not just an aesthetics issue, they have a lot of positive effects on water quality, and I would highly recommend them on those grounds alone.

If you want to be true to the biotope (like the lovely tanks shown) you can use heavily tannin stained water, white silica sand with lots of leaves and dead wood and no submerged plants, but use floating Limnobium (Amazon Frogbit) or Pistia (Water Lettuce).

Here is one of Lukasz's (Ruki)? (apologies if it isn't).

akwai.jpg

and on this link http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2009.cgi?&op=showcase&category=1&vol=-1&id=117

cheers Darrel

cheers Drrel

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
I do plan on having some moss and a couple ferns in there. Haven't decided which type of moss though. I grow Christmas Moss best, and it looks better to me, but I have easier access to java moss.

I guess I should have said I didn't want to go the heavily planted route ;)

Ruki

5 Year Member
No Darrel, it isn't my tank. :tongue: It's Piotr's(peterK) tank if I remember correctly. But I'm not angry- it was good tank. :biggrin:

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Apologies to PeterK and Lukasz, after I posted the link I though it might be Piotr's. I think one of you? had another lovely tank photo with an Amazon sword, leaf litter and A. cacatuoides?

I was going to say I can Rhaethe some moss and java ferns, but as I'm in the UK that isn't really very feasible. Offer stands to any-one in the UK though.

Xmas moss (Vesicularia montagnei) is a good one because it is self clinging (even to the glass), but for me it doesn't grow very quickly or form big tangles so you could do with some other moss as well, any of the Taxiphyllum species including Java moss are good for this.

I've got one that might be Peacock moss and it is highly recommended.
http://www.aquamoss.net/Moss-List.htm.

cheers Darrel

Ruki

5 Year Member
Rhaethe, sorry for off topic. :)

Hi all,
Apologies to PeterK and Lukasz, after I posted the link I though it might be Piotr's. I think one of you? had another lovely tank photo with an Amazon sword, leaf litter and A. cacatuoides?
Do you mean this tank?
img2977q.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Lukasz, no it wasn't the one in the image, but I really like that one as well. For me just a bit more moss and it is a perfect tank. Does Hydrocotyle do all right with you? I hadn't thought about using it, but it would be suitable.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….