• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Hardness (CaCO3) test kits

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:D
Hi All...

I have gotten some chemical reagent test kits for water hardness from Hanna Instruments, and my first impression of them is very good. They are low range kits (0-150ppm) rated for 100 tests. They have a large test bottle that will not get over full like the small cuvettes of some other test kits, and they are easy to swirl. The dropper bottle is easy to control, and I have not experienced any 'over-dripping'. I tested them on several different water sources, and they seem pretty accurate. My R/O-DI water READS zero..WOO HOO!.... I used that and tap to create varied concentrations. I will set up a more rigid test later this week... I have some students who need the extra credit.

The precision is 5ppm CaCO3.

Does anyone know the ppm to KH or degrees hardness conversion off the top of their head?

The test kist are also CHEAP... we will sell them in the store for $7.00.

hedylogus

5 Year Member
This is a cut & paste from a document I saved a while back:

By definition, 1 dGH = 10 ppm CaO. Or, 1 German degrees general hardness is obtained by dissolving 10 milligrams of calcium oxide into 1 liter of water. Or, 1 dGH equals 7.1 ppm Ca++ (calcium ion). Or, 1 dGH equals 17.9 ppm CaCO3 (calcium carbonate). The last conversion is sometimes stated as ppm Ca++ as CaCO3.

By definition, 1 dKH = 10.7 ppm CO3--. This one is not straight forward, because the carbonate ion CO3-- only exists while dissolved in water (and other solvents). So immediately you need conversion factors. Dissolving 17.9 mg CaCO3 in to 1 liter of water will raise the dKH by 1 degree. Or, 1 dKH = 21.8 ppm HCO3-.

Hope that helps.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)
Thanks hedylogus..

Matt... an EC meter measures TDS (dissolved solids). Carbonate hardness is a different measurement. Carbonate denote buffering capacity, and make the water alkaline. It is possible to have a high pH due to carbonates, but low EC (dissolved solids). No meter can measure carbonate hardness. THere are some spectrophotometers that measure color change very accuraltely, but they still require the use of reagent chemicals.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:) Usually a low pH is indicative of a low hardness, unless there is a LOT of acid being produced. CaCO3 'absorbs' acidity.. but if the acidity is being produced rapidly the buffering capacity of the carbonates can be overcome. If you are using the RO you likely have pretty low carbonates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….