• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Name the types

LeviathanGirl

5 Year Member
Ok.. These are all the pelvicachromis species I could find. Theres no way this can be all of them. Can anyone name the types I missed or correct anything I misnamed? I'm going nuts trying to put together this list. I havent been able to find a complete list, so I thought I'd do my own and now I'm going to go insane till I get it right. LOL

p. pulcher
red
yellow

p. taeniatus
Bandiwouri
Bipindi
Calabar
Dehane
Kienke
Lobe
Lobe Red
Lokoundje
Makoure
Moliwe
Muyuka
Nange
Ndonga
Nigeria Green
Nigeria Red
Nigeria Yellow
Nyete
Wouri

p. subocellatus
Moanda

p. humilis
Dinkaya
Friya
Kasewe
Kenema
Kislissi
Liberia-Red
Mamuya Ferry

p. roloffi
p. rubrolabiatus
p. sacromontis
p. signatus
p. sp. bluefin

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
You need to add P.subocellatus 'Matadi' too!
And P.sacrimontis 'Green', 'Red' and 'Yellow' morphs.
P.taeniatus 'Dja' and 'Red Cheek' are listed by Lamboj, in 'The Cichlid Fishes of West Africa'.

There are albino pulcher, if you want to add such mutations?
Lamboj also lists a blue morph (pg.180) and wild collections from Isokpo in Nigeria and Ndonga in Cameroon, but if you list all the localities you would be here for ever!

There's also P.sp.aff.subocellatus!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
My desktop crashed last week adn I am still trying to retreive all the files. When I do one of the first pages I will post is an updated list of Pelvicachromis in the species profiles section.

Ed mentioned a few additions. Tow P. pulcher I would include are 'Ndonga' and 'Iksapo'.

P. taeniatus 'Calabar' is likely a tank strain of fish created from a cross between Lobe and Kribi River systems (that is a personal opinion based upon trying to find references fro collections alooking at images of the fish). P. t. Nigeria Red is definitely a tank strain. Lamboj includes a Lobe: Grange Batange' which might be the same as Lobe Red. P. t. Kienke and Nange are the same fish, collected in teh same place, and given different names by different collectors. Kienke was first so it is the name used now.

Some more P. humilis are Guinea Red, Boffa and the new one 'Killi River' (wherever the heck that is). THe Killi River is a unique form though. The females show a lot of vertical barring.

The most common P. roloffi in the hobby right now is 'Kolente'.

LeviathanGirl

5 Year Member
I cant find info on p. sp. aff. subocellatus(in english), or photos anywhere on the net... Can anyone give me some info like collection local, defining features, ext? Currently the net is my only resource for things due to lack of transportation atm.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ok this is all based on information and pictures from Lamboj:
Found in the Niger system around Lagos.
It's colouration is basically yellowish muted version of P.subocellatus. Females don't show the black patches in any picture I've seen.
There are apparently a number of different variations on the basic colouration that may represent different forms, or just one variable one.

Found this on the web; http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/species.php?s=123
And it list a certain T.Judy as the species co-ordinator....

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
THink that the sp. aff. subocellatus males are more colorful than P. subocellatus. here is the male I have that is breeding. Free swimming fry yesterday. Small spawn... only about 15 fry, but these fish are only about 1 inch long!

sm_edit_cf_sub_M_0_0_Sep3_07_002.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….