• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reflecting on westies

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Here is a link to the west african cichlid gallery that I have placed on my web site. I have updated it from when I first loaded it last weekend. New images include a great shot of my P. taeniatus 'makoure' dancing. I also had a great session with the most difficult to photograph westie I have ever had... the P. subocellatus 'moanda'. All I can attribute today's success to is that I added 6 dither fish yesterday.

http://www.tedsfishroom.com/westafrican.html

The images in the gallery are from five years' worth of fish keeping. That is how long I have owned a digital camera. I have had a few other types prior to that, and a couple since that I just do not have decent images of. I had never thought about how many westies I have kept until I started to build this page and search through my files for images. The types missing from the gallery: P. t. moliwe, P. t. 'Nigerian' type (I have had red, green and yellow), P. t. bandewouri, P. t. lokounje, P. t. dehane, N. transvestitus, N. dimidiatus 'leza', N. parilus, A. thomasi, a few different Hemichromis, Pel. sp. aff. subocellatus, Teleogramma brichardi, Steat. irvinei, S. tinanti, S. casuarius, C. guntheri, B. finleyi, B. nigrodorsalis, Pelmat. nigrofasciatus, a few Tilapia, and Limbochromis robertsi.

I look at the list and think, 'wow... I've killed a lot of cool fish'. Then I look at the books and think, 'Wow! There are so many more to keep!' The variety seems endless, and if I add the South American dwarves into the mix there are probably more than I will ever be able to have in my lifetime. I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to have even a few of these species, and I feel guilty to some extent for have not been very successful at reproducing many of them.

I am 39 and have been seriously active in this hobby for 20 years. I love talking to the aquarists who have been doing this twice as long as I have, and talking with the aquarist who got their first tank last Christmas (and now have ten). They are just as excited about a cool fish as I am. Is fish keeping an addiction? Maybe. One thing for sure... it is cheaper than golf.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….