• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mixing Pelvicachromis

dfea

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice on the mixing of different Pelvicachromis in a single tank.

I may have the opportunity to set up an additional tank and was originally thinking about relocating my C guntheri guntheri. But now that the bug has really bitten I am think of relocating my pair of P. pulcher and adding some Pelvicachromis taeniatus most likely 'Kienki'.

Which brings me to the questions of; can the two be housed together, in either a 40 Gallon (36 x 18) or a 75 Gallon (48 x 18), and if so in what kind of numbers.

I currently only have the single pair of P. pulcher.

All asdvice greatly appreciated - Dan

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would not recommend mixing different species of Pelvicachromis. In addition to size differences there is also a wide range of aggression levels. Some of the more closely related species will even hybridize in an aquarium. (I know someone with sacrimontis/pulcher crossed off-spring)

The biggest challenge would be managing the size and aggression differences. Territorial/dominant female kribs DO NOT LIKE EACH OTHER! They will seek and destroy any other female that can't get out of the dominant fish's territory. And the larger female is going to win...most likely the pulcher if it's between a pulcher and a taeniatus.

Jeff

dfea

5 Year Member
That is disappointing, but certainly glad I checked first. Aggression aside I wouldn't want them to hybridize either.

Any thoughts on mixing with C. guntheri guntheri, I am unfortunately limited on tank count but would really like some taeniatus. Although not at the expense of the fish.

Thanks - Dan

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
If they are a tank starin of guntheri I would think it would be possible to mix in a larger krib species with them in a 75 gallon tank with plenty of shelter (wood, caves, etc.) for the kribs as well as some open space.

I'd try P. humilus, P signatus, or P. sacrimontis. A larger pair of pulcher might also be an option. I wouldn't do the smaller species (roloffi, subocelatus, taeneatus, sp Guinea Blue Fin, sp. aff. subocellatus) And P. rubrolabiatus need a really low pH to do well.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Dfea... if I remember correctly your tank with the C. guetheri guentheri is pretty big. So long as there are plenty of places to hide I agree with Jeff that the larger, more robust kribs (pulcher, humilis, rubrolabiatus or signatus) would be fine. P. taeniatus, subocellatus and roloffi are smaller fish and may not match up well with more aggressive C. guentheri guentheri.

dfea

5 Year Member
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, it looks like I will have to wait on the P. taeniatus until I can get them their own tank. Patience I guess.

I imagine my guntheri are a tank strain, I don't know their origins. Ted would you have a guess? I ask as you were able to confirm their ID for me.

Ted you are correct, the tank with the C. guntheri guntheri is large (150 G), it also currently houses my pair of P Pulcher. The funny thing there is that I see the P. Pulcher chase the guntheri more than the other way round. Even feeding time is docile. Well I guess I'll go back to plan A, relocate breeding pair of gunther so I can raise some fry.

Thanks again for advice, it helped me avoid trouble. - Dan

dfea

5 Year Member
How many pairs

Hey All,

OK so I can't seem to shake wanting some P. taeniatus, If I were to make the new tank theirs and leave the C. guntheri guntheri in the 150, how many pairs would be recommended in a 40 breeder or a 75 gallon? My initial thought was maybe two in a 40 and possibly 3 in a 75. I also assume I would only want to keep one form, so there would not be crossing.

Would that be reasonable?

- Dan

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
With plenty of distinct territories in the tank you would be fine with the numbers you stated. Once a pair has fry you will have to watch the other pairs to make sure they don’t get beat on to much though. But in general 2 pair in a 40 and 3 pair in a 75 SHOULD work out.

Jeff

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilyiahib

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….