• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mixing Borellii phenotypes.

Memeboi

So I have been looking at a website that sells Dwarf Cichlids, and they actually recently have stocked a subvariety of A. Borellii from the Pantanal/Paraguay River these fish have a markedly different phenotype to the Opal variety, and, knowing that the Opal variety often has challenges with inbreeding, I think it may be wise to insert genetic diversity by adding genes from a less "domesticated", line. Any thoughts on the matter?

MacZ

A. borellii "Opal" is a "cf."-species, so although the genetics are not completely analyzed it's likely a different or subspecies, which means it's more than just a phenotype difference. Means you are hybridizing if you do that, not mixing in a wild type into a domestic strain. The inbreeding problem is not present in specimens on this side of the pond. Possible you are dealing with an isolated captive population?

Also they occur naturally in the same vast riversystem of the De la Plata.
Look at the map: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Río_de_la_Plata_Basin
The Pantanal is a wetland region in the north, formed by the Rio Paraguay.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Presently Opal is merely a trade name for any more colorful specimen with a lot of red on its face. This feature is found on specimens in many populations along the Rio Paraguay/Parana. Most in the commercial trade are just more colorful domestic bred strains of whatever A. borellii populations were put together. Now for some fun facts:

1. The original Opal was developed in the 1960s in the DDR (East Germany) and had red, blue, yellow - and green (not seen in any Opals now). As far as I know, none of the original strain exists anymore.

2. I consider A. borellii a 'superspecies' in which different populations are now becoming - or have become - separate species. Like the many species of A. agassizii they will interbreed successfully if they cannot breed with one of their own population/species.

Memeboi

Presently Opal is merely a trade name for any more colorful specimen with a lot of red on its face. This feature is found on specimens in many populations along the Rio Paraguay/Parana. Most in the commercial trade are just more colorful domestic bred strains of whatever A. borellii populations were put together. Now for some fun facts:

1. The original Opal was developed in the 1960s in the DDR (East Germany) and had red, blue, yellow - and green (not seen in any Opals now). As far as I know, none of the original strain exists anymore.

2. I consider A. borellii a 'superspecies' in which different populations are now becoming - or have become - separate species. Like the many species of A. agassizii they will interbreed successfully if they cannot breed with one of their own population/sp
Well, Ignoring the obvious problem, do you think that mixing a different population/subspecies would result in viable, and genetically healthy offspring? I ask this question knowing that it is technically a form of hybridization. But if it is a hybrid, would it still be phenotypically normal looking?

Memeboi

The inbreeding problem is not present in specimens on this side of the pond. Possible you are dealing with an isolated captive population?
Well I mostly just hear about the inbreeding problem from people like you, and from experience, the fish are decently hardy, but definitely could do with more genetic diversity.

Memeboi

Now, a lot of what i am thinking about also relates to an idea I have had for a while, basically setting up a 40 gallon tank with a dwarf cichlid "colony", of sorts, similar to the one presented in This thread .

anewbie

Well, Ignoring the obvious problem, do you think that mixing a different population/subspecies would result in viable, and genetically healthy offspring? I ask this question knowing that it is technically a form of hybridization. But if it is a hybrid, would it still be phenotypically normal looking?
Unless you are buying wc borelli or f1/f2 they are likely domestic and more or less the same despite different colouring.

MacZ

First question: Likely viable. Second question: Phenotype unpredictable.
Well I mostly just hear about the inbreeding problem from people like you, and from experience, the fish are decently hardy, but definitely could do with more genetic diversity.
A. borellii are quite often wild caught and mostly wild type over here. Thus I don't count them in the same grouping of overbred domestic strains as A. cacatuoides or A. macmasteri variants.
Unless you are buying wc borelli or f1/f2 they are likely domestic and more or less the same despite different colouring.
If you define domestic as tankbred for multiplication and not as selective breeding. Domestic mostly has the connotation of linebred for colour or shapes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….