• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Doesn't look like borellii to me?

Jeffk

5 Year Member
Hi All - This has been bothering me for awhile now. I have kept several "opal" variety of apistogramma borellii. The females have always looked like this:
regular.jpg

This past Sept, I ordered a pair of borellii from a seller on aquabid, and the female looks different from what I'm used to. I've never had a female borellii with this lateral black line running through it, and sometimes I question whether or not it's actually a female borellii. Any apisto people out there have any thoughts? The only difference I know for sure is that this borellii pair was the "blue" variety, rather than the "opal" variety like the top pic. Here are a few pics of her:
other1.jpg
other2.jpg
other3.jpg
other4.jpg

The only thing I can think of is that she's possibly Apistogramma sp. "Steel Blue." Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They're not Steel Blue, which show a separate caudal spot. I think they are A. borellii, but not sure. They photos are not good enough for a positive ID.

Jeffk

5 Year Member
They're not Steel Blue, which show a separate caudal spot. I think they are A. borellii, but not sure. They photos are not good enough for a positive ID.
Thanks, Mike - I appreciate your thoughts. If I can get any clearer pictures, I'll post. Every A. borellii female I've owned has looked like my first pic, but they were all the "opal" color variant. This one is the "blue" color variant - I wasn't sure if there was much difference in the female appearance.

crazy72

For whatever it's worth, I have a female Borellii that has this lateral black line (depending on her mood). How do I know she is in fact a Borellii? Well, technically I'm not 100% sure, but she was sold to me as a Borellii, and she has been laying eggs with a male who is definitely a Borellii. So it seems like a safe bet.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
One feature that separates A. borellii from most other members of the regani-group is that they have a continuous lateral band without a caudal spot. The posterior end of the band swells, but is not separate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….