• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pantanal for Borellii

T_M

Tank: about 65x38x40..

Technic:
External filter Tetra Ex 400.
Heater absent.
Lighting dual LED bar about 12 w .
Co2 and various .. usual absent.

Fauna:

Trio 1M +2 F Apistogramma Borellii Pantanal A 102 F1 ( German breeder )
Six Otocinclus macrospilus born in captivity ( Swiss breeder )

Flora:
Echinodorus tenellus
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Sagittaria subulata
Echinodorus cordifolius
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Hydrocotyle verticillata

Values : pH = about 6.5 KH = GH = 5 2 = 0 No2 No3 < 5 mg / l T = 24 ° ( reagent test Sera )

The trio of apistogramma is the son of a couple wild caught in 2012 in the area of the Pantanal - Mato Grosso , more precisely in a flooded area included in the triangle that forms between the Rio Paraguay , Rio Negro and Rio Abobral southeast of Corumbà .
The area is described as broad floodplain , with clear water , marginal vegetation consists of Echinodorus emerged , alternating flooded meadows tenellus .
The secondary watercourses that form as a result of the floods have water column not more than one meter , low current and a thick tangle of floating plants ( Hydrocotyle found ) on the shores improvised composed of numerous roots emerged.
The fund that sometimes emerges is composed of fine sand white \ clear alternating with mud.

Layout :

Fund differentiated akadama small size in the rear deck , separated from the front by numerous woods . Front accessible to fish with sugar fine sand -size light in color, similar to that available in the fishing zone , as described by those who gave me the fish.
Attempt to recreate underbank area , consisting of a number of roots and wood , which is grown as floating 's hydrocotyle and as Echinodorus ( simulating vegetation emerged covered in water after flood ) .
The only plants above ground are the tenellus arrowhead and Lilaeopsis , to partially cover the holes and crevices among the roots recreated .
Dens and territorial partitions have been deliberately arranged on opposite sides of the tank, to give way to two females to create their microterritory , and the male to be able to observe the situation as usual "his" territory of upper basin between the roots .
Surely we are talking about one of the most peaceful apistogramma , but I have observed many times that when the size of the tank allow this combined with a proper layout the same , it is better than simply raising a trio format M + F , as the male less stress the single female and against , following the deposition , the female will avoid having to focus only on the male reject also the second female .
Even in this tank as my usual place I avoided the usual coconuts.
In fact, the Borellii are more properly as other apistogramma of Substrate spawners , or favor the deposition of smooth surfaces in cavities or crevices open.
In my case, the current trio , after an initial period of settling in , immediately made a double deposition , fortunately choosing and splitting the dens created specially .
The deposition was carried out both at a distance of a few days on the inside of the two roots and they are still in maintenance by two females under strict control of the male.
The water values are similar to those of the original drawing , which describes clear water with slightly acidic pH (6.5 \ 6.8 ) .
Values reached at the time with only home water supply ( akadama effect ) and mild use of peat.

Important chapter on nutrition .
Never used granular .
Tend to try to use only live predominantly white and blood worms in addition to Artemia . I avoid the tubifex . When I did not live exclusively with use frozen.
Weekly fish are 1 \ 2 days of fasting.
For Otocinclus who like bloodworm well and better shrimp , intact tablets with skiing, mash made from spirulina and garlic wineskin to classic vegetable skewers .
Speech different for the fish fry .
At the moment about 20% of the two litters were separated in a tank with filter accretion and furnished with plants and mosses . A diet of brine shrimp .
The vast majority of small instead remains in the tank with the two females , without any ad hoc supply , feeding exclusively of microorganisms present in the tank.
Naturally the tank lends itself to this type of management , with considerable growth of algae and roots emerged , favoring the supply of the small areas .
To date, the proportion of deaths is irrelevant.

This trio leased ( more precise information pertaining to their own ... today I’m only guardian ... ) is mapped within a project of German friends , whom I have specifically asked to bring forward so natural reproduction and growth progeny , leaving that there is a correct natural selection , to say their only means suitable for the maintenance of a strain in forces .
I had already happened in the past to use for similar purposes this policy, and I have to say that if the tanks are able to fully support the supply of fry stronger in the medium term I've always had generations of fish with ethological characteristics in accordance with their ancestors.

Some contribution:

Attachments

• 1 - Copia.jpg
    1 - Copia.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,111
  • 2 - Copia.jpg
    2 - Copia.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,303
  • 4 - Copia.jpg
    4 - Copia.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 901
  • 5 - Copia.jpg
    5 - Copia.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,094
  • 6 - Copia.jpg
    6 - Copia.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 838
  • 7 - Copia.jpg
    7 - Copia.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 898
  • 8 - Copia.jpg
    8 - Copia.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 897
  • 91.jpg
    91.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 835
  • 92.jpg
    92.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 851
  • 93.jpg
    93.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 786
  • 94.jpg
    94.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 847
  • 95.jpg
    95.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 860

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Love the looks of this setup. Makes me want to go snorkeling in the real habitat. Nice work. Beautiful tank and obviously happy fish!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….