• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mixing Apistos

lurch1000

As some may know, I have 2 A.cacatuoides, 1m, 1f, not paired to my knowledge. I've been offered two A.panduro FOC to save them from going to the LFS and on to an unknown fate. It is a male/female duo, but they've not paired.

I'm concerned about the possibility of cross-breeding. The tank is a fairly heavily planted 4' with lots of Cory and two species of Tetra.

Part of me says yes, other part is hesitant and I'd appreciate a wider opinion.

Thanks all.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. cacatuoides and A. panduro shouldn't cross spawn. They are VERY different types of Apistos and their spawning/courtship/etc. is very different. I would be concerned with aggression though. How big of a tank would you be putting them into?

lurch1000

Hi, thanks for that. Answers one of the questions anyway.

Tank is 4', 240l/63USgal and heavily planted with definite areas.

lurch1000

Photo of the tank IMG-20130425-01202.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
100-120cm range? You might be able to get away with the 2 pair then. Just make sure there are some more caves on each side of the tank.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The more hiding places the better. Wars over territory or between fish (in a pair) where one is ready to spawn and the other isn't will be the biggest issue.

lurch1000

Thank you AC, i'll go rescue them and see how we go. Worst case, get another tank and a divorce ;)

Just had to turn down a sumped 700 litre tank, absolutely gutted, it's going for practically nothing and permission was denied...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your wife has her priorities all wrong. My wife loves that I keep fish. As she says, "At least I know where you are." Besides she gets to travel with me to exotic places when I give talks. Hmm. I wonder where she is when I'm speaking???:D

cichlidmac

Your wife has her priorities all wrong. My wife loves that I keep fish. As she says, "At least I know where you are." Besides she gets to travel with me to exotic places when I give talks. Hmm. I wonder where she is when I'm speaking???:D
I could always travel with you and keep an eye on her?

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

lurch1000

Lol! Mine hates the "brown fish" I buy. Usually referring to Corydoras, but Apistos included... Got a male with some of the most flamboyant finnage going, and a yellow female... o_O

Not to mention the Tetras with clearly very red fins...

lurch1000

They're here, acclimatising as I type! Pics to follow tomorrow I think. Two new caves gone in the tank too. Need to get a stone for the plant pot one to wedge it open to a crack.

lurch1000

Just wanted to say thank you for the swift help.

The other fate for these two was an LFS then goodness knows what. They're in the tank now and disappeared in to the darkness, see if they're out in the morning.

lurch1000

So I peep in this morning and the male cockatoo is getting along famously with what I think is the female Panduro! Specifically he's following her about like a puppy. Not sure if it's reciprocal as yet. I'm out today, so won't be able to observe them.

lurch1000

Update on what's going on.

Think the A.panduro are M&F after all. Coloured up nicely.

As far as territory and aggression go, it appears Panduro to the left and Cockatoo to the right. The male Panduro keeps making cheeky inroads to the right side, and gets chased by the male Cockatoo. Quite amusing. Not sure the make Cockatoo is the enamoured by anyone, not even the female Cockatoo as she gets chased off quite often.

Still! Appears to be relatively harmonious. Means my Bolivian Ram plans have been shelved though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….