• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mixed populations?

tato

5 Year Member
Hi, What do you think about to mix Apistos from different collected places, for example A. borellii collected in the province of Corrientes (Argentina) should be mixed with A. borellii from The Province of Entre Rios, or other places? Or should be keeping separately?
Regard.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, I prefer to keep my different populations separate. I do not see a problem mixing populations of A. borellii, however. This species is very distinct. Nothing else is close to it and all of the populations found in the wild tend to be polychromatic to some extent. It is probably the earliest apisto species in the Paraguay system, but seems to be very consistent in form throughout its range. Then, again, it could be like the A. caetei forms where each color form is genetically a different (sub)species. With the A. caetei forms, however, the different populations are consistant in their body colors.

tato

5 Year Member
Thanks for the explanation, so that is what I'm going to do, We have the idea with some friends here in Argentina to collect Apistogramma in different places and take pictures of them and then watch if there is any difference in the different populations. I saw that in the species profile different populations of borellii have different codes:
borellii (type) (A101),
cf. Borellii Bolivia (A102)
Opal/Opalita (A105)
Paraguay (A103)
Rio Uruguay (A104)
Why is that?
Regards

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I saw that in the species profile different populations of borellii have different codes:
borellii (type) (A101),
cf. Borellii Bolivia (A102)
Opal/Opalita (A105)
Paraguay (A103)
Rio Uruguay (A104)
Why is that?
Regards

The different color forms pictured in the DATZ book under these A-numbers are (for the most part) from known collecting localities. The authors, however, could not distinguish any characters that would separate them into different species. That is why they write: "The status of the forms pictured here is therefore not clear." To play it safe, they gave different populations different A-numbers & labeled them as "A. cf. borellii" (except the specimen from the type location). A. borellii ("Opal") is different. It originally was a highly colorful domestic color strain developed in the former East Germany. Now the term is used for any super-colorful specimen - domestic or wild - that has red markings on the face and blue & yellow on the body and fins.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
All are pictured in the DATZ book, of course. The same photos of A. borellii (type locality) (A101), A. cf. Borellii Bolivia (A102), A. cf. borellii Paraguay (A103), & A. cf. borellii Rio Uruguay (A104) are found in Koslowski's (2002) book.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….