• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Misplaced photo in taeniatus profile?

ste12000

5 Year Member
The picture of 'Moliwe' in question looks right to me.
I have variants that were bought as 'Moliwe', 'Bipindi' and 'Nigerian Red'..

This is my fish that were bought as 'Moliwe'
pairmoliwe-1.jpg

Apart from different lighting on the two pics, mine are very similar to Teds
1st picture..

Azur

5 Year Member
OK, I believe you.
FWIW, the differences I'm seeing are:
Red streak on the cheek vs solid yellow.
Presence vs absence of a black spot on the gill cover.
Red dorsal trim to the caudal fin vs blue trim.
Spots in caudal do not reach edge of fin vs spots in caudal reaches edge of fin.
Possibly also red tips in dorsal fin vs white tips.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The images are correctly identified. Moliwe does have a red/orange cheek like Dehane, but unlike Dehane the Moliwe cheek has yellow irridescent bars above and below it. The tail pattern in the the two are very different also. The Moliwe has a darker, not quite black, margin on the lower half of the caudal fin. The caudl spots are different too. Dehane (and others types from the Kribi River) generally have fewer spots that are larger and bordered by a lighter or clear ring (like a true ocelli). Moliwe spots are greater in number, smaller and solid black on a field of yellow (without the ring arouns them).

There are always exceptions to the 'rules' however, and the species is highly variable even within populations.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….