• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

L. curviceps showing a bit of colour

anewbie

These are tank raised from wetspot; most of the time they look like the pair in the foreground but i guess they decided some territory dispute needed a bit of colour; the aquarium they are in is 8 feet long and 4 feet wide but they still choose to hang out together (there are 4 total):
tt1b.jpg
tt1.jpg

Havent' seen pictures of them before with deep solid purple...

anewbie

Nice fish, but they’re Laetacara dorsigera, not curviceps.
Well that is interesting; thanks for the info. Guess wetspot got it wrong. Can you tell if the two in the forefront as also dorsigera. More precisely how do you tell the difference. The article i read talks about colouring being the different not actual marking on the fish which i find kind of weak.

anewbie

This link has some good info to answer my question:

But the two species are very similar; the biggest difference i'm seeing is the black line is broken on the dorsigera at mid body (which mine are) and the curviceps are not broken but i'm not sure if that is definitive. There is a scale count difference but i'm not very good at counting scales.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I can't say anything about the 2 foreground fish. They are too out of focus to tell anything. I tend to look at the infraorbital band that runs from the top of one eye to the other. It is noticeably broader (and usually darker) in L. dorsigera than L. curviceps. Also their breeding/booding color patterns are very different.

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
But the two species are very similar; the biggest difference i'm seeing is the black line is broken on the dorsigera at mid body (which mine are) and the curviceps are not broken but i'm not sure if that is definitive. There is a scale count difference but i'm not very good at counting scales.
There's no need to count scales. Besides being slimmer than the stockier L. dorsigera, L. curviceps always have a white border on the rear of their dorsal fins; the border on dorsigera is red throughout its length. This is apparent even in young specimens - the fish in the photo was about 1.5 inches long at the time

RSCN4983.JPG

anewbie

There's no need to count scales. Besides being slimmer than the stockier L. dorsigera, L. curviceps always have a white border on the rear of their dorsal fins; the border on dorsigera is red throughout its length. This is apparent even in young specimens - the fish in the photo was about 1.5 inches long at the time

View attachment 14036
Is this a colour morph thing or true for all colour varities ? (there was an earlier thread on apistogramma.com that talked about many different colour morphs for these species).

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
Is this a colour morph thing or true for all colour varities ? (there was an earlier thread on apistogramma.com that talked about many different colour morphs for these species).

I can’t say with certainty that it applies to all morphs, but this was the case with all the variants I’ve kept over the years.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….