• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Kribs flirting but that's all ...

P

Pat

Okay, I'm frustrated.

I've got a 38-gal planted tank with a nice mix of community fishies in it, including two pairs of kribs. Who are doing nothing.

One is a magnificent male who looks better than the best pics I've seen, no kidding. He swims around with one of the females once in awhile. The other male, almost as gorgeous, spends a lot of time contemplating the glass at the corner of the tank. I'm not seeing any open aggression between these two, but he looks sort of ... well, disheartened. And the remaining female has given up on him. She just swims around like one of the cory cats.

Arghhh! The tank has three cave-type areas in it. What gives? How come no babies? Advice? Ideas? Info?

Thanks,

-- Pat

Randall

5 Year Member
Passive Kribs

Dear Pat,

Although Pelvicachromis pulcher are not considered difficult to spawn, they are known for taking their time getting started, especially when housed in new surroundings. Sometimes, we just need to patient with them. Please take heart; they will come around eventually.

For a successful spawning, you will need some cave type structures, which you already have; moderate water values, say, moderately soft with a slightly acidic to neutral ph; and temperatures of 76-78 degrees F.

I'd recommend feeding them well with live and/or freeze dried conditioning foods and performing partial water changes once per week.

You'll know when things are getting under way when you observe courtship behavior and one or both fish start digging underneath one of the caves.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:D

Ever hear 'a watched pot never boils'? :p

Seriously though... be patient and enjoy the peaceful comraderie your two pairs have right now. It will not last past the initial spawn... the 'odd pair out' will likely be looking to leave the vicinity.

Try filling the caves with gravel. The act of digging them out seems to be a trigger for some kribs.

Randall

5 Year Member
Resistant Kribs

Dear Pat,

While your Kribs are settling in, since they are so beautiful, would you mind sharing a photo or two with the Forum, please?

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

P

Pat

Oh, I'd love to post a pic of them, but I don't have a digital camera. How do I post a pic, exactly? Does it have to be digital? Or do I grab my trusty 45mm, flash a pic, and get it developed on disk? I'd like to learn how to do this.

Also, I'm beginning to suspect that I'll need to find another home for the other krib pair in the tank. Nothing at all is happening between them, and I think it might be because of the (other) dominant male. I don't really have room to set up a second tank right now, so I might be trying to find them a good home. Somebody should want a nice pair of kribs, you'd think, huh?

-- Pat

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….