• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male? Female?

Anonymous22

When apistos start getting territorial any fish at the bottom is getting the short end.
There is a reason the consensus here on the forum is to keep Apistogramma on their own or only with carefully chosen tankmates. They are not community tank material. At best a biotope community with them as the only bottomdwellers.
Ok noted. Are you good a telling males and females apart? Because I have post where I'm asking what mine are. I think they're females but I'm new to them and I have no idea. I know the "for sure male" (that's what I was told by the store) looks nothing like the males I've seen online and here. My other one looks like him but I have been noticing that it turns halfway on its side and then swims to one of the caves but gets completely ignored by the other. I swear to my eyesight they look the same though and I've had them for about a month (I don't know their age) and no color changes has happened in either. Thanks

MacZ

Are you good a telling males and females apart? Because I have post where I'm asking what mine are.
I've seen your post, the domestic strain you got is my bane. I can ID mature males (as I did in one of your threads), but that's it.
You got a manmade breed, which is known to be hard to sex as juveniles and which I - frankly - detest to the bone. Hence I never bothered learning to sex them.

Also it's bad form to hijack other people's threads. So maybe ask in your own thread again.

Anonymous22

I've seen your post, the domestic strain you got is my bane. I can ID mature males (as I did in one of your threads), but that's it.
You got a manmade breed, which is known to be hard to sex as juveniles and which I - frankly - detest to the bone. Hence I never bothered learning to sex them.

Also it's bad form to hijack other people's threads. So maybe ask in your own thread again.
I wasn't intentionally hijacking anyone's thread I was asking a genuine question. However I will leave this group because I don't want to he depicted as someone like that. I've only made one post and I don't know what other thread you're talking about that I've posted and you responded to. I'm not that type of person at all and I'm new to all of this. Thanks for you help.

MacZ

I don't know what other thread you're talking about
I just realized that thread wasn't your's, but there was a clear male A. agassizii fire red in it. I must have mixed that up.
It was this one:

I wasn't intentionally hijacking anyone's thread I was asking a genuine question.
I know, still... The moment you changed the topic from gourami + Apistogramma to sexing your own fish was when I just wanted to give you the hint to move that question to the other thread. Nevertheless I was so fair to tell you that I don't have anything to say, as I have a problem with that breed of A. agassizii you got, so I didn't answer in your thread.

Anonymous22

I just realized that thread wasn't your's, but there was a clear male A. agassizii fire red in it. I must have mixed that up.
It was this one:

I know, still... The moment you changed the topic from gourami + Apistogramma to sexing your own fish was when I just wanted to give you the hint to move that question to the other thread. Nevertheless I was so fair to tell you that I don't have anything to say, as I have a problem with that breed of A. agassizii you got, so I didn't answer in your thread.
Ok I understand where you were coming from.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
When sexing domestic strains where females can develop physical and visual male characteristics, it often requires time and observing behavior (which comes with experience). These cannot be seen photographically.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….