• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

juwel 180 40 gal , New to cichlids advise required

MarkT

Hi all,

As above I have a new rio 180 40g tank, i will be planting and having driftwood with plenty of caves and plenty of nooks and crannies for fish to take cover, also possibly some rock but not 100%, going to use eco complete as substrate and 3d rock backing

I really like blue rams and would like 2 pairs if possible, with the rams in place what will mix well and not end up too aggressive.

I would like a school of 10-15 fish etc....your personal prefs and qtys ????

I would like the tank to be quite colourful but also maximise my options.

Can you guys advise best options as to tank mates and qty of each, i would love a couple of mid sized fish if possible in the mix but am aware of the rams requirements, any thoughts or options as to if i can.

I like cockatoo dwarfs, rainbow cichlids, dwarf rainbows etc but not 100% on what will be safe as team mates to the rams.

I had a starting list of

Blue Rams

1 Pair of Pelvicachromis taeniatus (molive)
1 Pair of Apistogramma borelli (opal)
1 Pair of Apistogramma Viejita sp. II
1 Pair of Bristlenose Catfish
3 Pairs of Aphyosemion striatum
2 Pairs of Sparkling Gourami
Various small tetras for dither fish
Various Shrimps (Bamboo, Japonica, ghost and 1 Cameroon Blue)

Sorry loads of questions hopefully you can answer

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First, welcome to the forum. With Rams in your tank, you will have to make compromises. Rams are a warm water fish that don't do well at temperatures below 82°F/28°C. Ideally, the temperature should be a bit higher. Most other fish prefer it cooler. One species in your list I definitely do not recommend with Rams are any of the species of Pelvicachromis, or any other West African dwarf cichlid. The fish communicate differently and this can quickly lead to mayhem.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….