• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Java moss

newworldan06

5 Year Member
I got some java moss stuck in a piece on my wood so it will grow onto it. Will it spread across the whole piece of wood and farther? If i have other pieces of wood can i pull some out of the wood and rumber band it to other piece so it will grows there then take ruber band off?

medge00

5 Year Member
yes it will spread. i usually use black thread instead of rubber bands... the thread won't be as noticable and there's no need to cut it later.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I usually put Java Moss on a couple places on the driftwood. I put it where it will look most attractive OR where it will hide unattractive parts of the wood. Once it grows to a size where it looks good, I try to keep it trimmed to that size. After all the driftwood looks good too, you wouldn't want to cover it all.

I've found for the most part, the moss will grow up and out more than it will travel along the wood. Keeping it trimmed to the size you like will keep it from covering the entire wood.

Also you don't need to cut the rubberband. After a few weeks the rubber will deteriate enough to break on its own and can be removed. By this time the moss is usually attached.

Michael

newworldan06

5 Year Member
Is there any way for me not to have to buy more moss for my other pieces of wood?. Is there a way i can take some out (if so how do i do it) and transfer it over to a different piece? and then my old stuff will grow back.

thanks again

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I bought 3 baseball size clumps of Java Moss about 8 months ago and haven't bought any since. I now have 16 softball size clumps, 1 the size of a basketball, and 3 the size of a football. So you can see it's very prolific.

Just tear off a chunk when you need more or to trim it back. My basketball size clump is long over due for a trim.

Michael

aspen

5 Year Member
riccia is a beautiful plant, but you need a high light tank with co2, unless you just leave it floating on the top. many apisto keepers are using low light tanks, and java moss seems to grow ok even in these types of situations. it is a staple for many dwarf keepers.

rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….