• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to mimic deep leaf litter?

duane stuermer

5 Year Member
Good tip about the magnolia leaves, my tree just dropped, so I'm soaking a 5 gal bucket full, to add to a wild type betta tank.
The water has turned quite dark after just a couple days.

duane stuermer

5 Year Member
Might be time to change the water on the magnolia leaves.
141.jpg

duane stuermer

5 Year Member
Decided today after 2 weeks of soaking, was a good day to toss some magnolia leaves into the tank I've been preparing for wild bettas. Putting them on the dark side of the tank.
064.jpg

061-1.jpg

059-1.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all.
They look really good, it will be interesting to see how long they remain intact for. Do you have problems with the leaf fragments ending up in the gravel? I tend to leave mine until I have a bit if a mulm layer and then have a very occasional syphon, but I use sand so the leaf fragments are always on top of the substrate.

cheers Darrel

duane stuermer

5 Year Member
For me, the maple leaves break down fairly quickly, especially with the cichlids chewing on them. It will be interesting to see how the magnolia leaves hold up.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Night and day differrnce between white and red oak leaves.

I like the smaller leaf size of the white oak leaves I get but they only last a few weeks or so. The red oak leaves on the other hand are holding up in most of the tanks going on 3+ months now! And as a bonus the red oak leaves turn an incredible deep rich purple red and have a really attractive shape. The down side is there neatly hand size size.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The red oak leaves on the other hand are holding up in most of the tanks going on 3+ months now! And as a bonus the red oak leaves turn an incredible deep rich purple red and have a really attractive shape
I like Quercus rubra and Q. coccinea leaves as well, they were planted a bit in the UK for Forestry, but they didn't do very well and they like acid soils, so there aren't many trees near us (it is all limestone here). I always go and get my Oak (Q. robur) and Beech (Fagus sylvatica) leaves from a wood on the acid "green sand" about 10 miles away, but I don't know if it really makes a difference.

cheers Darrel

duane stuermer

5 Year Member
002.jpg

At this point most of the magnolia leaves have skeletonized. whether this be to snails, or normal decomposition, not sure.
There has not been a large detritus buildup.
Below is when they were first dropped in.
064.jpg

Now
051.jpg

Heartnet

5 Year Member
In the hopes of creating as close to a leaf litter biotope as I could after watching this biotope video, I ordered indian almond leaves in bulk.

Here's how it looks so far. I'll be adding more leaves as the tannins fade from the WC's.

DSC_0072_zps97157de7.jpg

The back wall is an entire sheet of 2" poret foam. The tank uses hamburg matten filtration.

Jonathan Aquair

5 Year Member
I had this very question a little while ago when buying some A. Bitaeniata from Ted Judy. So I went and bught ~250+ Indian almod leaves. Turned out pretty well [excluding pesky snails.....this is why we can't have nice things...]

Day one (waiting for leaves to fall)

couple weeks into it

Female w/fry emerging

After a few months w/o leaf replenishing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….