• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do these 3 month old Macmasteri Redneck look?

ApistoHongsloi

5 Year Member
These were born on November 2nd, 2021. They're basically exactly 3 months old. There's currently about 30 in a 20 long. I do multiple feedings a day along with daily 25% water changes. This is my first time breeding macmasteri. Do they look good for their age? They range from about 1.75-2.25 cm.

3 m mac.jpg
3_month_macmasteri.png
3m m.png
3m mac.jpg
3m m.jpg
3m.png

ApistoHongsloi

5 Year Member
Look good to me. Maybe it is time to split them up into 2 tanks, just to ease crowding?
Thanks, I wish I could but I can't fit another tank in my dorm room haha. I'm just doing daily water changes and hoping the crowding doesn't effect their growth later on. Also, In your experience, at what age do the males start appearing for Macmasteri? I cant seem to find much on the internet about connections between growth and age in Macmasteri specifically.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your tank maintenance isn't the problem. It is cramming too many territorial fish into a small area. You will eventually start losing fish to aggression. Your can ease this somewhat by adding more structures (hiding places) to the tank. I use 4"/10cm lengths of 1/2"/12.5cm diameter PVC pipe spread all over the tank - a piece for every 1 or 2 fish. As for age for sexable males, it depends. With heavy feeding and perfect water/temperature conditions you will start visually able to recognize dominant males at 4-5 months. It may take another 4 months before most males will show visual difference from females - and 'sneaker males' much longer.

ApistoHongsloi

5 Year Member
Your tank maintenance isn't the problem. It is cramming too many territorial fish into a small area. You will eventually start losing fish to aggression. Your can ease this somewhat by adding more structures (hiding places) to the tank. I use 4"/10cm lengths of 1/2"/12.5cm diameter PVC pipe spread all over the tank - a piece for every 1 or 2 fish. As for age for sexable males, it depends. With heavy feeding and perfect water/temperature conditions you will start visually able to recognize dominant males at 4-5 months. It may take another 4 months before most males will show visual difference from females - and 'sneaker males' much longer.
Thanks, I'll take the PVC pipe into consideration. I think I will start selling them once I can recognize some of the males.

MacZ

Agree. Cardinal mistake in selling homebred fish is just selling them off, no matter what. For the next batch get more growout tanks. Or probably prevent breeding. The "getting the fish to spawn and raise the fry"-part is never the hard part. The hard part is to get rid of them. Always think ahead otherwise you are in for a ride.

ApistoHongsloi

5 Year Member
How will you recognize true females from immature/sneaker males? You might discover some unhappy customers later on.
Agree. Cardinal mistake in selling homebred fish is just selling them off, no matter what. For the next batch get more growout tanks. Or probably prevent breeding. The "getting the fish to spawn and raise the fry"-part is never the hard part. The hard part is to get rid of them. Always think ahead otherwise you are in for a ride.
Thanks guys. Mac, can you elaborate on what you mean by "just selling them off no matter what"? Taking your guys' information into consideration, I'll hold off on selling for a bit longer. I will add PVC soon as well. If the PVC doesn't suffice, I'll sell their parents and use their tank as another grow out. In your experience, how hard is it to sell locally? And do you recommend selling online instead? Also, I live in Charlotte, NC so I feel It'll be a bit easier to find local buyers here than some other places.
Thanks

MacZ

Thanks guys. Mac, can you elaborate on what you mean by "just selling them off no matter what"?
I meant the attitude some people show that start to sell asap, which ends in things like Mike implied when buyers asked their money back because they were sold much too young fish etc. Things like that can easily end in a bad reputation, that's when people start to get stuck with the fish.
In your experience, how hard is it to sell locally?
Depending on the species you have to offer. I was lucky having a few species back then that sold easily. But there were some I wouldn't have been able to get rid of without a cooperation with a specialty store (only east african rift lakes). With standards like A. borellii or A. macmasteri the local market can be saturated fast.
And do you recommend selling online instead?
I'm out at that point. Bred and sold fish before the advent of the internet. People had to know you were in business back then and once they knew you had business.

Last edited:

anewbie

Thanks guys. Mac, can you elaborate on what you mean by "just selling them off no matter what"? Taking your guys' information into consideration, I'll hold off on selling for a bit longer. I will add PVC soon as well. If the PVC doesn't suffice, I'll sell their parents and use their tank as another grow out. In your experience, how hard is it to sell locally? And do you recommend selling online instead? Also, I live in Charlotte, NC so I feel It'll be a bit easier to find local buyers here than some other places.
Thanks
Fyi: A lot of people will sell fishes as young unsexed. They don't sell for as much but you can sell them sooner and perhaps shipping is easier as the fishes are smaller. So there is that trade off...

MacZ

So there is that trade off...
For the seller. Most buyers are rather turned off by that in my experience. Usually, especially with rather common species, people don't have the patience to get a group of juveniles and grow them out and sort them later. A. macmasteri is such a species in my experience. They are ok to learn the basics in breeding that group of fish, after 1-2 batches of fry I would either sell the parents off too or put them in a display tank where fry for sure won't make it. I just looked for my area on Ebay and other platforms... If I look for Apistos it's mostly A. macmasteri, A. borellii and A. cacatuoides (all only in domestic strains) that are offered, then followed by A. agassizii and the interesting stuff is one in 20 or more classified ads.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Athough I breed apistos regularly I don't sell any. I donated fish to clubs where I spoke (pre-Covid) to defray their costs to bring me in, put them in auctions at my local fish club, or trade for other fish. If it's someone I know locally I even give them away. I'm not in it to make money. It's a hobby after all. For the past 10 years or so I just kept certain rarer species to keep them in the hobby.

anewbie

For the seller. Most buyers are rather turned off by that in my experience. Usually, especially with rather common species, people don't have the patience to get a group of juveniles and grow them out and sort them later. A. macmasteri is such a species in my experience. They are ok to learn the basics in breeding that group of fish, after 1-2 batches of fry I would either sell the parents off too or put them in a display tank where fry for sure won't make it. I just looked for my area on Ebay and other platforms... If I look for Apistos it's mostly A. macmasteri, A. borellii and A. cacatuoides (all only in domestic strains) that are offered, then followed by A. agassizii and the interesting stuff is one in 20 or more classified ads.
Guess I'm unusual; i prefer to buy 6 or so young ones (1/4 inch); and let them grow out. Sort of like chocolate in a box. I then give the extra away; if I can find someone local else i just give them to the lfs. I don't bother with store credit since i'm not in love with the store; but if they have something i need like a bottle of prime or whatever i take that.

MacZ

Guess I'm unusual; i prefer to buy 6 or so young ones (1/4 inch); and let them grow out. Sort of like chocolate in a box. I then give the extra away; if I can find someone local else i just give them to the lfs. I don't bother with store credit since i'm not in love with the store; but if they have something i need like a bottle of prime or whatever i take that.
Not unusual, you're obviously past the mindset of a community tank owner or the loads of people that are hoping "breeding for profit" works out or bring up unplanned fry. Some "birth control" for the common species would be quite a good idea for the hobby as a whole in my opinion.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
I love seeing successful breeding the first few times for a species, seeing the fry, and raising a few. I also give them away. I like the journey of figuring out the conditions that allow this. Once a breeding routine has been set, though, apistos are far too prolific for me to handle. My approaches:
  • Separate the male.
  • Switch to fish that are much harder to breed (like Dicrossus).
  • For other genera, set up "permanent tank" configurations that allow some fry predation but also occasional fry survival.

MacZ

• Separate the male.
  • Switch to fish that are much harder to breed (like Dicrossus).
  • For other genera, set up "permanent tank" configurations that allow some fry predation but also occasional fry survival.
Alternatively point 1 can be switched with keeping only a male.

But I like all three possibilities.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Yes, it's all about preference. I like everything about breeding except the part where there are too many juveniles! If I could grow them out and someone else would sell them for me, I would do that. That's what @Bowluvr does.

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
I would sell unsexed juvies in groups of 6 or 7 or pairs if I was absolutely sure of their sex on Aquabid before shipping became a nightmare thanks to the pandemic. I'd also donate to local aquarium society auctions to help support the clubs & bragging rights. At one point my hobby became self-supporting.

anewbie

Not unusual, you're obviously past the mindset of a community tank owner or the loads of people that are hoping "breeding for profit" works out or bring up unplanned fry. Some "birth control" for the common species would be quite a good idea for the hobby as a whole in my opinion.
To be honest my concern with people who breed for 'profit'; and there are quite a few is that they don't do anything to prevent excessive inbreeding which result in unhealthy fishes. I wish they would at least make the effort to mix up the genetics every couple of generations by introducing new blood.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….