• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Ivanacara Adoketa (success!)

thepotoo

tl;dr: I got wrigglers, details below.

Tank: 75 gallon community: Cardinal Tetras, Angels which just spawned, German Blue Rams which just spawned (unsuccessfully - the Ivans ate the egss), Bushynose Plecos. Buffered substrate (generic version of Akadama), moderately planted (lots of Amazon Swords, Crypts, Valls), 64 watts 6500K lighting. Ivans came from guest speaker in the local fish club, purchased together (6) when they were half an inch long. The largest male and female paired off about 2 months ago, and were removed to a 10 gallon tank. They did absolutely nothing in this tank, and started to look stressed (male is about 4" female 3", so it's no surprise in such a small tank), so back in the community tank they went. This was about a week ago, didn't record it in the tank log.

pH 6.2, 82 F, GH 5, KH <2, TDS 160. 15% water change with cold water triggered spawning, which took around 90 minutes. Approximately 150 eggs were laid on the inside of a 4" diameter clay flower pot. 125 of those were removed 2 hours after spawning to other tanks. All the eggs in the main tank had turned white 48 hours later. Of the eggs that were removed, 100 went to a 10 gallon (fully cycled; same parameters, substrate as community tank) tank with a sponge filter and a dozen Painted Fire Red shrimplets (in theory, to control fungus growth on the eggs similar to how the corydoras and killifish people do things). All of these eggs seem to have fungused (posting this exactly 4 days after spawning), but I haven't given up hope yet.

The remaining 25 eggs were placed in a 1 gallon bowl with RO water and 2 shrimplets. The shrimplets were a mistake, they immediately died and had to be removed. A 50% water change was done daily (with RO water), bowl kept at room temperature with a sponge filter (uncycled) (no AC, temp probably high 70's). Around half of these eggs hatched today, and are now wrigglers. I plan to feed microworms once they're free swimming, as hatching BBS twice a day is far too much work.

For anyone else doing this, I'd be interested to see the hatch rate with methylene blue, or possibly methylene blue + shrimplets. I think the big reason the shrimplet method failed was because there was enough algae in the tank that the shrimps prioritized it over keeping the eggs clean. I'd recommend introducing the eggs into an established shrimplet colony. Perhaps a crystal red colony would work well, as their water is already spotless, assuming the eggs will hatch at a cooler temperature. I'd also consider removing all the eggs and separating the parents next time. They just aren't as good parents as my Apistogramma cacatuoides. I recommend splitting the eggs 3 ways: 50% to a bare bottom tank with RO water, 25% to an established shrimp colony, and 25% to a bare bottom tank with methylene blue. Please, please post your results somewhere so I can have better luck next time. I don't usually post spawning reports like this, but there's so little information available on Ivans that I felt this was warranted.

I'm posting this to a couple other forums, and I'll try to edit this post to answer questions as best I can.

thepotoo

Yes, the eggs are sticky. I moved them by scraping them off the plant pot with a razor blade. I have quite a bit of surgical experience, so I don't think I damaged any of them. Several more eggs have hatched in the 1 gallon bowl as of now. I think only 5 didn't make it there.

Methylene blue might hurt shrimp, but it doesn't contain copper, and I found some examples of people using to treat fungus on shrimp (unsuccessfully, I might add. A sick shrimp is a dead shrimp). I'd bet 10:1 odds it's fine with shrimp, and I would certainly risk it if I thought it meant better hatch rates on fish eggs.

Microman

5 Year Member
[quote="thepotoo, post: 70036, member: 10726"
Methylene blue might hurt shrimp, but it doesn't contain copper, and I found some examples of people using to treat fungus on shrimp (unsuccessfully, I might add. A sick shrimp is a dead shrimp). I'd bet 10:1 odds it's fine with shrimp, and I would certainly risk it if I thought it meant better hatch rates on fish eggs.[/quote]

Do you really think it necessary to use shrimp if you are using Methylene Blue? Both do the same job. I would personally use Alder cones for artificial hatching...
I have bred adoketa on numerous occasions and very clean, bacteria free water is no doubt the key to successful hatching of the eggs. I think the fact that only the eggs that were removed and artificially hatched in clean RO water proves this in your case. Some people utilise UV filtration, which also works well, because even tanks with very clean looking water can contain relatively high levels of bacteria. Very soft (Pure RO) water with tannic acids added works well for adoketa.
Mark...

thepotoo

You are 100% correct, I'd probably see no benefit from trying to combine methylene blue + shimplets. And yes, it's all about the quality of the water. That's the point I was trying to make, I just took 3 paragraphs to say what you said in a sentence :) I just hadn't seen any direct comparisons between hatching methods posted before, and wanted to share. The fry are doing great, BTW. I lost one, but the others are all eating microworms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….